Understanding Medication Dosing

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
How does this translate? Is this saying if I had a 10 lb cat the dose would be no more than 1 ml per day?

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The dose is there. It’s 7.5mg/kg. So depending on what the mg per ml is of the med. You figure out the cat weight in kg. 10lb cat divided by 2.2 gives you 4.5 kg then
4.5 kg x 7.5mg = 33.75mg. So, you need 33.75 mg. Then you take 33.75 divided by the strength of the medication you have mg/ml.
Or read the label and give 1.1 ml.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would still clarify with your vet regardless. I have given Orbax to my cat before, but not in the dosage form set up according to that label. Your vet might have been recommending the dose based on another set-up for oral suspension of Orbax. Also, ask to either talk to the vet directly or make sure they are consulted; vet techs may just tell you to follow the directions, and they may not be what your vet intended.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
please make sure you talk directly to the vet so they know this mistake was made. The dose of 1.1ml. For a 10 lb cat is a once a day dose and per the manufacturer not to exceed that dose.
It wasn’t the vet that made the mistake. It was either a careless, overstressed, or untrained staff member that did. This could have been lethal. The vet needs to know their employee needs training, vacation, or a new job.

These kind of mistakes are not rare. When I worked at the cat hospital an owner called and wanted to know if we had changed the manufacturer of our theophylline ( for bronchial dilation ) I said no and asked why. Hesaid the pills looked different. I filled his theophylline and on my way home dropped off the new pills and picked up what he had. Someone had filled Trazadone (sedation, antidepressant) instead. Nobody at work would fess up but I know who did it. We changed a bunch of protocols so it didn’t happen again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
S silent meowlook FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I plan on contacting them Monday. The label had the 'generic' dosing of give a dropper full BID the syringe for Orbax is 3ml. I'm so glad I'm used to giving enough medications to have realized that was excessive.
My cat weighs 8.6lbs according to the Emergency Clinic I took him too for FLUTD issues again. They gave him Convenia and ran a urinalysis. He has a Staph aureus infection.