Under the Knife Today

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two- and three-year-old toms received their operations today. Perhaps I should have made two different visits, because it's difficult to keep them both inside and separated.

The ride "to" was miserable with all of the yelling. (There was a time when they were big buddies.) The ride "from" was quite calm and this was my expectation.

Now that we are home, I have them separated, but they are each pacing and screaming at each other from their separate locations. (There are always stray cat hormones around the place. That will never change.) I thought they would want to sleep. Then, too, I thought they would be acting better.

Does it take a while for their big-guy hormones to work out of their systems? I don't perceive any change in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No prescription. My guys do not appear to be in pain, but I'm not sure I would recognize. They each like being held, as before.

This was what appears to be a volunteer clinic. Today was cat day. $50 per. They also received rabies and a three-way.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does it take a while for their big-guy hormones to work out of their systems? I don't perceive any change in them.
Yes. It can take a few weeks. But eventually you'll notice that stinky tomcat urine smell is gone. Neutering will also weakens their urge to roam, and to fight other cats, as they will no longer be looking for females.

Because it takes time for the hormones to leave their systems, though, they can still get unspayed female cats pregnant, so make sure they are kept away from your mama cat, or any other unspayed female cats for a few weeks.

Here's a TCS article that might have some info for you:
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two guys are eager for my attention twenty-four hours later. On the down side, I have never observed them to behave so badly. A while back, the three-year old was banned from independent access to the house. He sometimes squirted. Now, if I let him in to visit with me, it's the first thing that he does. I suspect my two would be wrapped in a death struggle if I let them meet to compare tattoos.

I am glad that I found a clinic that seams to work for me. On the other hand, this solves nothing. I believe passers-by can see the guard cats on my front porch. It is a strong temptation to add to my clowder. Two of my three adults showed up this way. The little girl introduced herself by running through an open door. Somewhere there is a child that is upset that her lap cat disappeared.