Under Bed Ritual

Bella E

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have 2 gorgeous cats. One is 4y old Ragdoll x and second 1y old Russian blue x. I have botha since they were 2 months old. There was no issue, my older cat was a perfect friend for the little one starts from beginning: grooming each other, sleeping together, playing, they can even eat from the same bowl. But aprox 2 months ago they started to have some "ritual"... almost every evening, when im switching my lights off, going to bed they starting to fight under the bed. Little one is hiding and growling, and the older one is trying to catch her which is hard couse he is much bigger and can't reach little one in some spots. When Im waking up and im on my feet they stopping, tails up and are waiting for my attention. Its happening only evening time and only under the bed otherwise they are perfectly happy together. They have schedule meals, playing time just before. Last meal few hrs before bed time. Their energy levels should be similar.
I really don't know what to do. Almost every evening, half an hour of growling, meowing and fighting under the bed.
When i blocked all area they moved to the wardrobe just next to my bed.

I hope someone can find the reason and will be able to help me to make their life happier (evenings especially ;) )

Thanks!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you think it needs to be stopped? Sounds like a play fighting ritual. The growler may not be totally into it, but the fact they are generally buds means it is not a real problem. Unless its waking you up.

This is just like a big brother little brother thing, and the growling is like little bro calling for mom over every little thing. And sometimes big brother *is* a little jerky. But little brother still wants to play 5 minutes later. Unfortunately, it is not as easy for mom to give guidance with cats as it is in big brother/little brother, and anything you could do might be misinterpreted as "don't play" so its better to let them be. And lets be honest, mom's guidance doesn't really change the big brother/little brother dynamic anyway.

As far as the growling, this is the way it often is. Playing is not always equal, and one party might complain even if the cats are generally friends.

Bottom line: nothing you can or need to do. Unless they are waking you up, in which case maybe we can help you move it elsewhere/when.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. This stuff generally just doesn't start happening for no reason. Is there anything, even something simple (like a new bed, new flooring, etc?) that occurred around the time that they decided they should be playing under your bed? Where did they used to spend their nights before this started?

If you can't come up with anything that might explain it, I guess you could act like your going to bed (go in and then turn the lights off and leave), and see if they play themselves out before you actually do turn in. Or, go to bed early, listen to music/watch TV during the half hour free-for-all that is going on under your bed.

Glad to see that their goofy behavior at bed time is not affecting their otherwise good relationship!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bella E

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. This stuff generally just doesn't start happening for no reason. Is there anything, even something simple (like a new bed, new flooring, etc?) that occurred around the time that they decided they should be playing under your bed? Where did they used to spend their nights before this started?

If you can't come up with anything that might explain it, I guess you could act like your going to bed (go in and then turn the lights off and leave), and see if they play themselves out before you actually do turn in. Or, go to bed early, listen to music/watch TV during the half hour free-for-all that is going on under your bed.

Glad to see that their goofy behavior at bed time is not affecting their otherwise good relationship!
No, I haven't changed anything. Just when the little one had almost one year everything started. During the day or even evening time when Im just reading in bed they napping next to me. Its like when the whole place is dark and quiet older one is starting to hunt and little one is a pray. Which is normal for hunters so i tried to play with them, make them tired and its just pushing their ritual for 30 mins later. Im concerned that older one will hurt little one. There was no blood but i found her fur under the bed so not sure if its just playing. They were always sleeping (and still do after the ritual, in my bed or ther bed next to mine. I need to figure it out quickly couse i don't want my little one to be bullied every evening. And its hard to ignore there "playing" when little one is glowing and screaming when older one gets her.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like play to me. They get along great all the time otherwise. This is just a vocal play session. Growling and hissing and other sounds are not automatically bad, they are just sounds cats make to communicate. Let them be. They are having fun.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will the little one stay in bed with you if you put her there? And, leave the older one wherever it wants to be? I'm thinking if she jumps down to partake in their nightly ritual, then she must enjoy it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are not going to hurt each other either. You also said that they do this and then when you get up they stand there waiting for your attention. Sounds like they have been successful at getting your attention and now they do it regularly. Again, they are NOT fighting, they are simply playing. But if you really want them to stop don't scold them or do anything they will see as negative as you don't want them to feel like these play sessions aren't allowed. Try distracting them with a laser pointer and get their nightly energy out of their systems before turning out the light for bed. That might help stop it. But again, I wouldn't want to ruin this play for them.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just when the little one had almost one year everything started.
Your older cat probably saw the younger one as more of an adult at a yr old and began fighting/playing as an equal instead of being gentle as you would with a baby. When Sqeeker reached about 16 months Yoshi started playing rougher. Even though Yoshi was twice his size Sqeeker came back for more and eventually won about half the time.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you looked under the bed to see if there is some toy there that they might be fighting over? Sometimes there is a toy that one or the other feel strongly about and fights ensure when the other goes near it.

Bella E

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you looked under the bed to see if there is some toy there that they might be fighting over? Sometimes there is a toy that one or the other feel strongly about and fights ensure when the other goes near it.
No, nothing. Just a container I'm keeping all sheets. Little one is hiding on top and older cat is trying to catch her. But when he is going somewhere, she is fine and not staying under the bed. Just when the older cat is chasing her shes trying to hide. Maybe it is only a playing session. Im just concerned about her screaming and the clumps of her fur im finding after that.

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it since you said there wasn't any blood. If the older really wanted to hurt the other, there WILL be blood. What do you usually do when they started playing like that?

Have you tried putting out some automatic toys so that they can chase those instead of each other? Or tried getting them to run around the house a lot before bed time? Not really the same problem, but when my cat was a kitten, he had a habit of digging under the blankets and clawing at people's feet while they're trying to sleep or during the middle of the night when people are turning over. I ended up keeping a laser pointer nearby and made him chase it before bed and whenever I see that he's up to something. 5 minute sessions until he's no longer bouncing off the walls in excitement. He got tired eventually and settled down. No more unpleasant mid-night scratches! Maybe that'd work for you?

But yes, to echo everyone above, don't make them think playing with each other is a bad thing!

Bella E

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it since you said there wasn't any blood. If the older really wanted to hurt the other, there WILL be blood. What do you usually do when they started playing like that?

Have you tried putting out some automatic toys so that they can chase those instead of each other? Or tried getting them to run around the house a lot before bed time? Not really the same problem, but when my cat was a kitten, he had a habit of digging under the blankets and clawing at people's feet while they're trying to sleep or during the middle of the night when people are turning over. I ended up keeping a laser pointer nearby and made him chase it before bed and whenever I see that he's up to something. 5 minute sessions until he's no longer bouncing off the walls in excitement. He got tired eventually and settled down. No more unpleasant mid-night scratches! Maybe that'd work for you?

But yes, to echo everyone above, don't make them think playing with each other is a bad thing!
I'm playing with them before bed time and after they have a nap, fighting starts. They waking me up of course. When I noticed there is no injuries I started to ignore that. But when little one is starting screaming really loud I am checking if everything is ok. I don't mind them play, even night time just don't understand why it needs to be just next to me.

It's bed time now, just finished play session. Both are tired. Laying in bed, next to each other, grooming. Will see if after 20+ minutes of jumping, running and trying to catch their "pray" they still will find energy for bed ritual.
Thanks for your suggestions guys!

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let us know how it goes!

Maybe it’s the structure of the bed that makes playing there more fun and interesting for them? I’ve noticed that cats love reaching down or pouncing from above or through cracks or around doors when they play. Is there anything similar between how the bed and wardrobe is structured (gaps above the ground, drapes all the way to the floor, etc.)? Maybe providing another playing location with where they could hide and poke out of would prevent them from playing under the bed. One of the people I pet sit for has a cat tree with a ton of hidey holes in her room so her cats could play around that if they ever get rowdy during the night. If you can’t afford a cat tree or don’t want to get one, throwing a couple furniture together might work as well!