Unbelievably "wrong" article about cats!

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WOW! I just read this article about why cats are better pets than dogs. I don't disagree with the premise, but the "reasons" the author gives are so ludicrous, you have to wonder if she ever actually even MET a cat - much less owned one.

10 Reasons Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs (Yes, Really) | PawTracks

For example, she says "cats don't follow you to the bathroom like dogs do." I almost spit my coffee at the screen! I haven't gone to the bathroom unaccompanied since I adopted my kitty last year!

Also...

"Cats leave you the h*** alone" (like the one who is sitting on my lap right now, while I'm trying to write this.)

"Cats don't follow your every move" (my cat rarely leaves my side all day, and wants to be in the middle of everything I'm doing)

"Cats will let you watch Netflix in peace without begging for belly rubs or rubbing against your leg..." (Again, almost spit my coffee at the screen.)

"Cats are quieter" (well yes, maybe, but the first sound I hear every morning is the insistent meows of my cat begging me to GET UP and pay attention to her!)

:flail:

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The author says that cats are better than dogs because they dont take up as much "realestate" as dogs. Not sure if thats true for greg and arnold...:lol:

For what its worth I think dogs and cats are wonderful.

20191021_191726-1.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The author says that cats are better than dogs because they dont take up as much "realestate" as dogs. Not sure if thats true for greg and arnold...:lol:

For what its worth I think dogs and cats are wonderful.

View attachment 409827
Two big beauties you have there! I also like dogs - I've always had dogs in the past, this is my first cat. But I've gotta say that no dog I ever had was as affectionate and demanding of attention as my cat. The author also "forgot" that cats (God bless their little feline hearts!) are far more able to get into things that are off-limits. They can jump up on the kitchen counters or wherever else they want to go and the best you can do is try to discourage them. It's much easier to set limits with a dog, you can even use a baby gate, if necessary to limit their access to parts of the house.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats are affectionate or want to be around a person or people. I think alot of the cat's behavior is in response to the affection and interest shown by its owner(s). The affection and interest from a cat towards us has to be earned, unlike a dog who is generally a pack animal.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not all cats are affectionate or want to be around a person or people. I think alot of the cat's behavior is in response to the affection and interest shown by its owner(s). The affection and interest from a cat towards us has to be earned, unlike a dog who is generally a pack animal.
Well I've only ever had this one cat, but she is more affectionate than any dog I've ever had. The dogs were more obedient, and they were often happy to see me when I got home, but none of them ever followed me around all day, even into the bathroom, the way my cat does.

My cat even plays games with me. She will hide behind a corner and meow insistently, then as soon as I come to find out what she wants, she leaps out at me like "Gotcha!" In other words, she is initiating a game of hide-and-seek and calling me to come find her. I've never had a dog do that!

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They must have a very independent kitty or one who dislikes them! My relatively independent old boy still likes being within the same room as me most of the time, and when my younger boy is awake he won't leave me alone!

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Leave you alone seriously?? Some one needs to inform Mignon and Butter of this[ well Dora and Lil Bit too to an extent lol butter was on my lap edited me out of pick mignon on my hip Dora black and gold and Lil bit in my computer chair & Caramel on my knees
IMG_20220203_111955021.jpg
IMG_20211229_194838511~2.jpg
ATTACH=full]409856[/ATTACH]
IMG_20211227_144306633.jpg
IMG_20211229_210043228.jpg
IMG_20211216_080142693.jpg

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Leave you alone seriously?? Some one needs to inform Mignon and Butter of this[ well Dora and Lil Bit too to an extent lol butter was on my lap edited me out of pick mignon on my hip Dora black and gold and Lil bit in my computer chair & Caramel on my knees.
Dora was all smug as she had just caused the rip in the sofa where I usually sit

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats missed all of those memos. :rolleyes2:

I am so, so sick of the "cats vs dogs" debate. They are two completely different species both amazing in their own way. Neither is better than the other. So many people think that just because they consider themselves "dog" people that they cannot love cats too. I rarely see it the other way around though. As most of us know, you can love cats, dogs and other animals too.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am so, so sick of the "cats vs dogs" debate. They are two completely different species both amazing in their own way. Neither is better than the other. So many people think that just because they consider themselves "dog" people that they cannot love cats too. I rarely see it the other way around though. As most of us know, you can love cats, dogs and other animals too.
I wasn't referring to the article in order to further a debate on which animal makes the better pet. I love them both - and even if someone prefers one or the other, that is okay, too. I only brought it up because her observations about cats were SO far off base! The one about cats not following you to the bathroom was the wrongest one of all - I've never had a dog follow me to the bathroom, but my cat does it almost every time. Anyone who thinks a cat doesn't follow you around the house all day must have a very unusual cat because that is what cats DO! Again, there is no "better or worse" in my book, I'm just surprised by her complete misunderstanding of cats.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't referring to the article in order to further a debate on which animal makes the better pet. I love them both - and even if someone prefers one or the other, that is okay, too. I only brought it up because her observations about cats were SO far off base! The one about cats not following you to the bathroom was the wrongest one of all - I've never had a dog follow me to the bathroom, but my cat does it almost every time. Anyone who thinks a cat doesn't follow you around the house all day must have a very unusual cat because that is what cats DO! Again, there is no "better or worse" in my book, I'm just surprised by her complete misunderstanding of cats.
I didn't think you were. You didn't write the article. My reply was not intended to be about you at all. I agree with what you said but the article is ridiculous and is very misleading. So many people believe these stereotypes and it's sad.

We had a dog for years and she never followed me to the bathroom either. I've opened tbe bathroom door many times to find one or both cats sitting there waiting. I keep the bathroom door closed and I can't tell you how many times the girls will walk over to it and yell at it. I have to call out to them that I am not in there and they will stop.

I like dogs too. We had one for years because my husband was an animal lover to the core but was very allergic to cats. He wanted a pet so we got the dog. We would have had a cat if he hadn't been so allergic. I got the girls a couple of years after he passed away.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I like how Jackson Galaxy puts it- "Be bi-petual!"

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have dogs all my life, and cats for several years now. Yes they are completely different and these writers should (I think) stop comparing one from the other.

My cats, particularly Graham, follows me everywhere I go in the house, demanding for attention, belly scratches, and requires that I "talk" to her as long as I am awake. One of my dogs do that too, but the other 3 do not care.

Like people, I believe cats and dogs form different kinds of personalities and characters depending on their environment, how they were raised, etc.

But I love them all so dearly.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_20211229_210043228.jpg
Lil Bit aka Sweetie Face likes to fallow me lately as our house is heated by an old fashioned in floor furnace the bathroom door has a 4 in gap at the bottom to allow heat in as the furnace is only about 3 feet away and she will sick her arm up to the shoulder under the sorry or she will throw mousey under it towards me 😂

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I asked my boy's what they thought about the article. Bandit said don't have a clue what it's saying as he dropped his ball at my feet to play fetch. Patches didn't know anything about not following people to the bathroom, he shouted through the door. :lol: