Unbearably Bullying Male Cat

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a six year old brother and sister cat which are of unknown parentage. They were found on a sidewalk at an estimated age of 2-3 days old. They were fostered by a mother/daughter team in my town and put up for adoption when they were about 10-12 weeks old. They have been very easy cats, quite wonderful in fact, until more recently when Timo, the male, has gone from pesky to bullying me with respect to food. He is a very large cat weighing about 17 pounds or more. He is very slightly overweight, his sister just a bit more than slightly overweight, so I try not to feed them in a way that will lead to weight gain. But apparently Timo doesn’t think he is getting enough food. He used to pester me by walking on me. Now he jumps on me, usually landing on my stomach. Hard! Repeatedly. Or he will leap over me, narrowly missing my head, my glasses. He head butts me. Hard! He walks all over me. He just will not let me alone! I’ve taken to pushing him away, sometimes fairly roughly, but to little benefit. I if he does stop he’ll sometimes lie on my arm, pinning my arm down, and then stay still for a short while and I will pet him and praise him. But that doesn’t last. At this point I will often get up and feed him. I do make it a point to not respond to his bullying until it stops before I feed him. But it doesn’t work very well, if at all. I’m lost as to how to train around this problem. Would appreciate suggestions.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you sure it's food he's after? He might be pestering you for attention.

Do you have regular play sessions with him? That might help to redirect his attention as well as give him a bit of exercise to burn off some calories. Next time he starts annoying you try using a wand toy to play with him

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Norachan. Can this be redirected with play? You might have to try a few techniques. It really sounds like he's trying to get you to play.

You can also try adding some water to their food. It can help them to feel full. (if it's wet food your feeding)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The other thing you can do is try three feedings a day, but the same amount of total food for the day. I'd use that in conjunction with play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's food he's after? He might be pestering you for attention.

Do you have regular play sessions with him? That might help to redirect his attention as well as give him a bit of exercise to burn off some calories. Next time he starts annoying you try using a wand toy to play with him
When he wants to play, he drags his wand toy to me, an obvious ploy to get me to play with him. So I don’t think he is after me for play. But there is no reason why I couldn’t respond to his begging with play. Thanks for the suggestion.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My senior cat used to engage in this sort of obnoxious behavior in the wee hours of the morning. It usually ended with me chasing him out of the room Tom and Jerry style and closing the door so I could sleep.

How often is this little terrorist bothering you for food?

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My senior cat used to engage in this sort of obnoxious behavior in the wee hours of the morning. It usually ended with me chasing him out of the room Tom and Jerry style and closing the door so I could sleep.

How often is this little terrorist bothering you for food?
Every day! Usually multiple times per day. I try to stick to a schedule of about every four hours during the day, but it doesn’t seem to matter, he bothers me well before feeding time.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there set times for feedings? Do you ever vary when he acts up? Generally, you give a cat an inch they want a mile.

I'd make sure the feeding times are set in stone. No varying, no snacks, no human food. Then set an alarm that rings on your phone, and let in ring while you get the food ready. EVENTUALLY, he might learn that he only gets fed at those times and when the phone rings.

At 17 pounds, I'm assuming its not hunger. However, it is true that wet food is more filling. So when people have possible problems with cats that might be explained by hunger, we do suggest switching at least the before bed feeding to wet food.

If he is eating dry, a timed feeder is possible too. I mean, you dont want 17 pound cat eating more, but you could spread it out more with a timed feeder. Some people also swear by food puzzles, where the cat has to work some to get the food. Leads to them eating more slowly.

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_0565.jpeg
Are there set times for feedings? Do you ever vary when he acts up? Generally, you give a cat an inch they want a mile.

I'd make sure the feeding times are set in stone. No varying, no snacks, no human food. Then set an alarm that rings on your phone, and let in ring while you get the food ready. EVENTUALLY, he might learn that he only gets fed at those times and when the phone rings.

At 17 pounds, I'm assuming its not hunger. However, it is true that wet food is more filling. So when people have possible problems with cats that might be explained by hunger, we do suggest switching at least the before bed feeding to wet food.

If he is eating dry, a timed feeder is possible too. I mean, you dont want 17 pound cat eating more, but you could spread it out more with a timed feeder. Some people also swear by food puzzles, where the cat has to work some to get the food. Leads to them eating more slowly.
I had a feeling when I stated the weight of Timo some would logically assume he is overweight. I’m very picky about weight on my animals. Being fat is hard on their joints and hard on their health, so I’m sort of a fanatic about their weight. In spite of my best intentions, Timo is slightly overweight though I can rather easily feel his ribs. His sister is a bit more overweight but definitely not obese. Both he and his sister are just really big cats. I so wish they had a pedigree so I would know his breed heritage. In addition to their size they have several slightly unusual characteristics. Very tiny voices, very soft purrs, somewhat uncommon colors, extremely soft coats, glitter in Gemi’s coat. Timo is a ticked blue tabby, Gemi is brown. I’m ever so curious about their breeding.

I feed four times a day. Four hours apart. One of the three meals is wet, the other meals are dry. Both Timo and Gemi sleep through the night and don’t pester me for food when I’m in bed. I never feed them when he is actively walking on me or pestering me. I wait until he is still for at least two minutes or more. They don’ t get snacks. I feed a very regular schedule. I have recently cut down very slightly on both of their food portions. Perhaps Timo’s behavior reflects genuine hunger?

IMG_0565.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, neither one looks overweight to me, and if you can feel his ribs at all, that is good. There are MANY grain-free dry weight reduction foods out there, you might try to find one they like. i use one from Tractor Supply for my fat baby. They have a great selection. Maybe you could get some shaved deli turkey/chicken from Walmart to give them a small handful at the night feeding, or at the time he seems the most persistent. It may fill them up and is low calorie.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Nobel was a healthy weight at 17 lbs in his youth too....before I accidentally got him overweight at 20lbs.

If you've recently adjusted their food, it could be hunger for sure.

Do you use something to make them eat slowly? You could also add a bit more water if you'd like.

Let us know how responding with play works. It worked decently for Calcifer.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, A Alldara triggered something in my brain about the fast eating time. I'd defintely look into a puzzle feeder. Most are made for dry food, but I did find one fpr wet. it is called a Likimat.

1703032074956.png

It might slow him down so that he feels fuller.

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, neither one looks overweight to me, and if you can feel his ribs at all, that is good. There are MANY grain-free dry weight reduction foods out there, you might try to find one they like. i use one from Tractor Supply for my fat baby. They have a great selection. Maybe you could get some shaved deli turkey/chicken from Walmart to give them a small handful at the night feeding, or at the time he seems the most persistent. It may fill them up and is low calorie.
I suppose I ought to try the low calorie options, but I’ve always been very reluctant to do so because they have a reputation for being less nutritious. It makes more sense to me to feed a high quality food but just a little less. I guess I am open to the comment “how’s that working for you?” And I’d have to answer “not so hot”! I think I’ll try very small treats to help him stick to the schedule.