Unbearable Decision to put our sweet girl down

sunshi500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday our sweet Oreo shattered her femur. We think that our 6mo old puppy, who never bothers or jumps on the cat really, had jumped up on the window on her bed and hit her just right with his paw. We didn't see it happen, so we can't be sure. Oreo would turn 16yrs old next week. She was overweight too, so those two things were against her. She would have need a bone graft, plates, screws in her leg and months of recovery. She had a minimal surgery to remove a growth last Sept that was tough for her. She's been slowing down, hard to jump up, making weird noises that the vet could find nothing wrong with. The surgery would have been $4500-$6000. Now I would go in debt for my animals, but we felt like we would have done that more for us to keep her around another couple years (hopefully). But I still feel terrible having made that decision and just run around all the what ifs in my head. I know it was a freak accident but I cant help feel blame for myself, my husband and my dog. I pray we made the right decision for her. She was the sweetest cat ever. My parents always said boy cats were friendlier. Well we didnt know what we picked out at the farm that day but she was a girl, and the friendliest cat ever. She's moved like 9 times with us. She was our first pet together that we got after a couple months of dating. We loved her so much and I'm heartbroken.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. When one of my girls was 17 she had a minor surgery for an infected toe and was so miserable and uncomfortable that I second guessed myself as to whether it was worth it. But for an older cat to deal with such a major injury and recuperation and all that pain would have been many times more difficult. I know it’s hard but I do think you did the right thing for her. And you don’t know if there was an underlying condition that caused her bones to break more easily as well.

I know that it is a horrid decision to make but you did the best for her and you.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for the accidental loss of your sweet girl, Oreo. :hugs: No one is to blame, it was an accident and since you didn't see it happen it could not be avoided. However, that being said, I can understand your feelings. Please take comfort in knowing that she was truly loved and adored by your husband and you. You gave her a forever home and in return she gave you unconditional love. :hearthrob: She is running pain free at the Bridge now. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshi500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. I too even second guessed the growth surgery last fall afterwards. She had broken a leg when she was 1 and fell from our loft apartment and had a pin put in (now I sound like a terrible parent) so maybe she did have more brittle bones. If she had been younger I wouldn't have hesitated.

I am so sorry. When one of my girls was 17 she had a minor surgery for an infected toe and was so miserable and uncomfortable that I second guessed myself as to whether it was worth it. But for an older cat to deal with such a major injury and recuperation and all that pain would have been many times more difficult. I know it’s hard but I do think you did the right thing for her. And you don’t know if there was an underlying condition that caused her bones to break more easily as well.

I know that it is a horrid decision to make but you did the best for her and you.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard when you have to let them go. But you knew your girl and made the best choice for her. This was a accident no one's fault sometimes thing's are out of our control. You gave her a loving home for so long she knows you loved her I'm sure. R.I.P sweet Oreo :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On something like this, no matter what decision you made it would be heartbreaking. To put her through that surgery and the pain afterward, old bones don't heal as quick either or going into such debt to give her a painful few years, it's just a no-win situation all the way around. She was geriatric and had a tough time with minimal surgery. I think you made the right decision. To put her through so much at her age would have been agonizing for her.
The bond of love you built over those 16 years is a strong one. Nothing, not even death can break that tie to your soul, 'death cannot take that which never dies". She would never want to bring such pain to your heart, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you. Try not to dwell on her end, but celebrate the wonderful time she had with you. I pray you can use your precious memories to bring you comfort.
I know how much this hurts. There will always be guilt and doubt with any death, that is how we humans process our emotions. Time is the only thing that lessens the sharp edges of pain, take care of those around you who need you, and take care of yourself. Honor that sweet girl by remembering the good times, and know you will always have a secure place in your heart for her. She is at peace because she will always be loved..........RIP precious Oreo. You will be dearly missed. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a terrible tragic accident, no one could ever predict or prevent something like this. I am so sorry that this happened to you all, so tragic and sad. I am sure that she is just fine now, she lived a wonderful life thanks to you and when you see her again one day it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry that this happened to you, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your tragic loss. "That decision" is always so hard to make and then deal with, but you made the right choice for her. That surgery would have been way too much hardship on a good old girl like her, and she wouldn't have enjoyed whatever life she had.
God bless you and comfort you in these awful days.

sunshi500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your tragic loss. "That decision" is always so hard to make and then deal with, but you made the right choice for her. That surgery would have been way too much hardship on a good old girl like her, and she wouldn't have enjoyed whatever life she had.
God bless you and comfort you in these awful days.
Thank you so much. I am still struggling. I imagine it will take time. I've never had a pet for so long.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Oreo, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so very, very sorry. How human it is of us to take blame, to feel, somehow, responsible. But I must remind you that you did not see what happened. It may have simply been that she jumped wrong, landed badly. In the end, there is no way we can protect our pets (or our children, for that matter) from every little thing that could go terribly wrong. Not and leave them with any life worth having. And knowing how tough even a minor surgery was on her, you made the best, the kindest, the most unselfish decision you could make...you helped her through that Gate between This Adventure and her Next Great Adventure, and sent her with your love to guide her way. Now she is happy and whole in That Place Where All Things are Known, and she blesses you for that unselfish act, and sends her love, now translated and purified into Love, back to you.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With age, bones become more and more fragile. Anything can break them easily.
There are also diseases that looks like accidents. Nothing is for sure.
Such diseases or accidents happens to humans as well, and not always life is like Grey's Anatomy movie.
Surgery bears a risk - usually higher with age and other conditions present.

I am very sorry for your loss. Memories and Love never end. Memories is a divine Gift.

Tears for Oreo the Cat and hugs!

sunshi500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. A week has past already, I can't believe it. I find myself doing the little things like making sure the door is shut or the dog gate is open for her to get through. Today would have been her 16th birthday. We talked about this day with my 5yr old for weeks. The only good thing out of this is my daughter is seemingly fine and doesn't dwell on her like I secretly do.