Unaltered Male Cat Mounting Other Male

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning was a first for me, and a bit alarming. My sweet little baby, approx 6 month old kitten (unaltered), appears to officially become a man/ Tom and mounted my 8 month old kitten (altered), very clearly biting his neck and humping him. Prior to this, they have wrestled and played, although lately the youngest has been positioning himself on top more often than the other. The eldest seemed annoyed but didn't move away, so I carefully and gently broke them up.

I'm still in a bit of shock and worried that this might become a problem now? My vet had suggested to wait until the new year to get him neutered, but I was hoping to find time in my schedule to get it done this month. I am not sure now if I can get it done before Christmas or if I will in fact have to wait until January. I am *definitely* feeling the pressure to get it done now, but I'm not sure what I can do in the meantime. My vet only does this surgery on certain days, and ideally I had wanted to rearrange my schedule so I could be home the day after.

Is this normal behavior for a male cat to mount another male? Do I have to worry about any other behaviors developing right now, or continuing after the surgery? Would he be ok being home alone after surgery if I got it done ASAP, or should I wait until I'm able to be there to monitor him? Previous cats in my life had already been neutered, so this is my first foray into budding maturity and I'm starting to freak out a little.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spraying is the next step in becoming a man cat. It lets other males know he's there and that all around him is his. Other males may or may not arrive to discuss this with him.

He can probably get female cats pregnant (mine could at that and age and were flippin' quiet about it.) If there is a female who is interested within 5- 10 miles he will try to get to her. He will also fight all the other males trying to impress her. (this can be expensive vet bill wise.)

PS - He's trying to tell your older fixed male he's the boss, everything they see is his.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Spraying is the next step in becoming a man cat. It lets other males know he's there and that all around him is his. Other males may or may not arrive to discuss this with him.

He can probably get female cats pregnant (mine could at that and age and were flippin' quiet about it.) If there is a female who is interested within 5- 10 miles he will try to get to her. He will also fight all the other males trying to impress her. (this can be expensive vet bill wise.)

PS - He's trying to tell your older fixed male he's the boss, everything they see is his.
Thank you. I was worried my other male might get hurt from certain unwanted attention. He was very... active with him. They seem to have already sorted out their hierarchy- they've never fought but the youngest, who was the first in the house, has made it clear that he's the boss and the other doesn't have any qualms about it. I'm hoping that their brotherly bond doesn't change now.

How soon do you think spraying may occur? Both cats are kept indoors, but once in a blue moon I've been visited by other cats on my porch. I haven't seen them in a while so I don't think these kittens have seen them, but I'll be extra cautious to make sure nobody runs outside.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was eons ago and I really can't remember how old they were 6 or 9 months, yeah, I know the difference is huge to you. I'm sorry. However, we were lucky and knew before they got the house. Late at night when we were in bed asleep the first one came in and said, "Hi, mom, dad, today I'm a man." and sprayed the bed with us in it.

It was late late at night, so we went to the spare room and climbed into that bed. The second boy came in. "Hi, mom, dad, today I'm a man." and sprayed that bed with us in it.

They went into the vet that morning before they got the house. The vets I've had have been open to doing the spaying and neutering when asked, no time for you to change your mind. SG arrived for her spay, but various emergencies came up delaying it. They kept assuring me today, for sure. It was three days before they could squeeze her in. They didn't charge me for the stay, but she did pick up a LOT of REALLY bad cat swear words while she was there.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was worried my other male might get hurt from certain unwanted attention.
My 12 yr Yoshi still mounts his 10 yr brother Sqeeker, both neutered. The only part of their bodies that touch is mouth to neck. With my boys it is clearly a dominance thing with no injuries.

Like K Kflowers said other hormone induced destructive behaviors could be coming soon. It also takes a few weeks for the hormones to work out of his system. His playing might also get more aggressive. For that reason I'd try and get him neutered sooner so there are no accidental injuries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
It was eons ago and I really can't remember how old they were 6 or 9 months, yeah, I know the difference is huge to you. I'm sorry. However, we were lucky and knew before they got the house. Late at night when we were in bed asleep the first one came in and said, "Hi, mom, dad, today I'm a man." and sprayed the bed with us in it.

It was late late at night, so we went to the spare room and climbed into that bed. The second boy came in. "Hi, mom, dad, today I'm a man." and sprayed that bed with us in it.

They went into the vet that morning before they got the house. The vets I've had have been open to doing the spaying and neutering when asked, no time for you to change your mind. SG arrived for her spay, but various emergencies came up delaying it. They kept assuring me today, for sure. It was three days before they could squeeze her in. They didn't charge me for the stay, but she did pick up a LOT of REALLY bad cat swear words while she was there.
LOL oh man, and here I am worried about my baby rubbing up on his brother. I really hope I don't get that kind of wake up call before I can make the appointment. They just grow up so fast.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, they do but once those pesky hormones are taken care of things settle down. Except they do continue to practice fighting and that's okay. It's important to them and for you to let them do that. It's their instinct to 'learn to fight or learn to die." This is good exercise and it keeps them from destroying the house.