Unaffectionate

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! As some of u might jnow since i post many threats, i currently have some kittens. (8. Weeks old) and they….aren’t affectionate…at all. i play w them, pet them, im gentle with them, i give them treats, but the don’t like being pet by me, they never approach me either, when i got their mom she wasn’t like this. is it because they haven’t weaned yet? Any tips for raising affectionate cats? mama her self isn’t that affectionate either, she’ll cuddle once in a while and likes pets but thats about it

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it is different for super young kittens, but by 8 weeks, no doing stuff to "get them used to it". If there is an age where that is appropriate, its past by 8 weeks. Instead, treat them like you are courting a shy boy/girl. That means only doing stuff they like, just trying to be around them and above all being patient. Imagine you are the shy boy/girl -- you wanna be grabbed? Picked up? Nope, that stuff can be scary, and set back relationships. Don't be grabby, or do stuff the kittens aren't ready for on the theory you are getting them used to it. You have to let the kittens be the boss of what you do and when. In practice, with kittens of this age, they will often first accept being petted when sleepy. They might have a spot where the trust you before they trust you in other spots, usually a spot where your always chill and quiet like the bed or the couch. Work with that, that is something to build off of.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it is different for super young kittens, but by 8 weeks, no doing stuff to "get them used to it". If there is an age where that is appropriate, its past by 8 weeks. Instead, treat them like you are courting a shy boy/girl. That means only doing stuff they like, just trying to be around them and above all being patient. Imagine you are the shy boy/girl -- you wanna be grabbed? Picked up? Nope, that stuff can be scary, and set back relationships. Don't be grabby, or do stuff the kittens aren't ready for on the theory you are getting them used to it. You have to let the kittens be the boss of what you do and when. In practice, with kittens of this age, they will often first accept being petted when sleepy. They might have a spot where the trust you before they trust you in other spots, usually a spot where your always chill and quiet like the bed or the couch. Work with that, that is something to build off of.

Good luck!
Thing is these kittens aren’t new, theyre my cats kids and they were so sweet, perhaps theyve gotten annoyed

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a life cycle thing, kittens change incredibly fast at that age. We've heard this story before.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think they are just being kittens and too pre-occupied with each other to bother much with a human at this point. Each will have their own personality so some may never be serious 'cuddlers' while others might grow into it over time. Being around them so they are comfortable with you is enough for now.