Unable to Trim Cat's Nails

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My orange boy chews on his claws and although it took a couple different products he now also uses a scratcher with great vigor lol 👍. Poppycat did but only now and then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I’ve seen cats lick their paws but I didn’t know they gnawed on the claws. Everything I’ve read talks only about cats needing to scratch. I never thought to ask about cats gnawing their claws.
Yesterday I ordered one of those mesh cat grooming sacks from Amazon along with a cat muzzle. They might be helpful. Not sure how I'd even get Roshana fully inside the sack. Not sure I'd be able to Scruff her with one hand and wrap the muzzle around her with the other hand either. Worth a try.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I asked Roshana's vet if they could give me some Gabapentin under these circumstances, noting that I was having extreme difficulty putting her in a carrier to bring her for her exam and also trim her nails. The reply was no. Here's what they said. (Roshana's exam due date was in March.) Days ago.
"Ann,
We can definitely help you out with this, However it looks like Roshana's office exam is past due and it is illegal in California for us to dispense medication without an updated exam. You are more than welcome to make an appointment and if you are having a hard time getting her into her carrier we can always move the appointment to when Roshana will let you get her into the carrier. We do have appointments available as soon as today or tomorrow. I do apologize for the inconvenience."
I knew this would be the answer before I asked.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the law in California different? How are other people getting Gabapentin so easily? I have a request in for the vet to phone me this afternoon. If she can't help, I'm getting a new vet for all of my cats.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I ordered one of those mesh cat grooming sacks from Amazon along with a cat muzzle. They might be helpful. Not sure how I'd even get Roshana fully inside the sack. Not sure I'd be able to Scruff her with one hand and wrap the muzzle around her with the other hand either. Worth a try.
Maybe this muzzle would work-

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would still explore the option of a mobile vet. If anything they could come over, give her a quick exam and give you the gabapentin to give for her nail trim appointment, however, if they're able to examine her briefly they'd probably be able to get in there and get the problem nail trimmed on the first visit.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would still explore the option of a mobile vet. If anything they could come over, give her a quick exam and give you the gabapentin to give for her nail trim appointment, however, if they're able to examine her briefly they'd probably be able to get in there and get the problem nail trimmed on the first visit.
Yes I can call a mobile vet to ask if they're willing to chase her around my condo, up and down the loft stairs, under beds and furniture, to try to grab her. Cuz I'm just too old to do that anymore.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I can call a mobile vet to ask if they're willing to chase her around my condo, up and down the loft stairs, under beds and furniture, to try to grab her. Cuz I'm just too old to do that anymore.
Understood. It's a tough situation. I hope you find a solution. :(

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Imagine the money someone could make as an ethical cat wrangler. :flail:

I'm so glad I have a hallway with a bathroom at the end. I can close the other doors, chase Sqeeker, and shut the door behind us. The carrier is hidden in the tub. It has taken over an hour at times but in his nervousness he forgets that's a trap. So far it's only been once a year so I don't feel guilty.