un fixed male trying to "get some" from fixed female

flowersimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

So I have a less than one year old male cat who unfortunately is not able to be fixed due to a severe heart murmur (scale 1-5 he is a 4/5) We were told he would only possibly live a year of he's lucky maybe longer..... Anyways he's been in our home since he was about 4 weeks old I'd say he's about 8 months now.... I have a 4 almost 5 year old female cat who has been fixed for almost 3 years now.... Lately he has been meowing like a mad-man at walls, at her, me and my bf.. Getting uppity at my other cat (male and happens to be one of the kittens from my females first litter.. Also neutered).. He has been biting her neck, grabbing on, getting into position, licking, sniffing her private areas.. We keep telling him off. Like getting him off of her tossing things at him so he gets distracted (nothing hard or big bottle caps, empty cig cartons etc ) which he'll go after for a minute or two... I'm wondering WHY he is doing this as she obviously doesn't go into heat so she wouldn't be giving off any scent, and how long this is going to last and is there anything I can do about it and please neutering him is not the answer as the likeliness of him not making it thru the surgery is pretty much 100%.. Please help me with any ideas or facts that work! Thank you!! Kenny (male) in the box flower (female) laying in her back :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @flowersimba  Welcome to TCS.

Un-neutered males will try to mate with just about anything. Spayed females, other males, pillows, soft toys....just about anything. Sometimes neutered males continue to try and mate too. All of my cats are fixed, but a couple of the boys try to scruff the girls or each other at times.

How does Flower react? My girls are more than capable of fighting the boys off when they're not in the mood. If she is spayed then it actually doesn't matter if he does succeed in mating with her.

I don't think shouting at him or throwing things is going to help. You could do more harm than good this way as he might start to be afraid of you. You could try distracting him with a toy or some treats. Or you could just turn a blind eye to it.

As long as he isn't actually hurting Flower I wouldn't worry too much.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's going to be obnoxious for a few months at least! Some toms eventually settle down but the teenage months will be a challenge.

If he gets too bad, you can ask the vet about hormones treatment. Basically, you give him girly hormones so he forgets he's a tom :tongue2:. I know some5imes that's used to males who can't be neutered for some reason.