Ummmmmm???? What do i do???

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have bottle kittens about 4 weeks old. One wont take the bottle anymore, and has been doing something really disturbing. I have been force feeding her because I don't know what else to do but she has been going after her brother ad trying to suck on his well pee pee.. And he screams.. WHAT DO I DO??? This is really disturbing and I don't know what to do!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is common in orphan kittens. You'll probably have to separate them at this point. At least until they're eating solids and the little guy can defend himself, anyway. Have you tried them on canned food mixed with milk yet? They're just about the right age to start solids, and it might be why the girl is refusing the bottle.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is the age my little ones started eating canned food mixed with some KMR. I would put it in a dish, and put some on my finger for them to lick off, slowly moving closer to the dish and they quickly got the idea and ate on their own after that.
Anyway, I agree, start trying to get them eating wet food!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I feel better that it happens, But they sleep together and I don't wanna be mean and take them away from each other.. but I guess I'll have to do it. I've tried them on soft kitten chow that was soaked in milk and they want NOTHING to do with it. Canned cat food they don't like either. I put a piece of hard kitten chow in its mouth and it chewed on it a while spit it out and picked it up and chewed on it some more.. They have teeth but there not all the way in, and I think it liked the way it felt on its gums and teeth. Should I try the wet cat food or the kitten food softened?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always started young kittens on canned food mushed up with their formula milk. At first, more milk than canned food, then gradually increase the amount of canned food. But let them play with the kibble, too, so they can get used to it.

It does seem mean to separate them, but once a kitten starts sucking on another kitten, they won't stop. And it can cause damage. So it is necessary. You'll have to make sure they stay warm enough, since they won't be keeping each other warm. Try re-introducing them in 2 weeks or so and see if the sucking is still an issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I tired the canned kitten food just now with milk, and they wont even open their mouths, One kitten eats it all on her own, the other two the boy and the girl with the sucking issue wont even lick it or anything they wont take a bottle either.. Its weird they've always eat and always drank from the bottle. I don't know what else to do maybe there just not hungry. I'll leave them alone, except I'm going to take the boy away and put him by himself for a while, and see if maybe here in about 4 hours they'll want to eat. They usually eat about every 5-6 hours. Poor boy hopefully he doesn't cry being alone. I hope they come around to eat!!!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you give them the canned food with milk, try letting them lick it off your finger. Slowly dip your finger down into the milk as they're licking. Soon, they're drinking from the dish without realizing your finger is gone. You can try it with just the milk at first if the canned food is turning them off. Once they're laping the milk well, you can try the mix again.

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a kitten too old to bottle feed, that stopped eating. We bought a syringe/baby medicine dropper, and mixed pate wet food with some of the kitten milk until it was liquid enough to put into a dropper and put the dropper at the side of his mouth and slowly pushed food in which he ate. After about two days of this (plus using a dropper to feed chicken/beef baby food) the kitten started eating on his own again slowly with soft foods and working up to solids. My kitten was sick though, so it might be different for a kitten that is not yet used to any sold foods..good luck though! i hope they are doing okay!