umm..ok..i did not know where to put this..here or health but i need some advice!

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 3yo boy Jinx goes into the loo with my partner all the time. He sits on his lap the whole time (gross i know but we cant stop it or he cries and scratches the door. Has done since a tiny bubba and partner does not seem to mind)
BUT today, apparently Jinx was laying on my partners lap and shot some white stuff out..it went all over my partner and the wall and smelt putrid.
Partner looked down and Jinx had his penis out. Safe to say everything was hectic after that. When i was being told about it i asked if it were clear (as jinx has anal gland issues) and he said no..it was milky and chunky just like human semen.
Do people think thats what it was??
Im horrified!!
Also should i ring the vet and ALSO whats the best thing to clean my wall with?? My loo stinks!! Partner tried cleaning it but i can still smell it and its definately not anal gland smell to me!
HELP!! :/

Last edited by a moderator:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I need to clarify before I provide an answer is Jinx fixed?
If it were THAT, it should not have an obvious odor to it. Cat is a feline specie which is very clean by nature and can get
sick if exposed to unhygienic condition. Therefore their sperm does not smell bad.  And if it does, there may be some type of infection which would warrant a visit to the vet.

I believe his anal glands are abstructed.....Cats have anal glands which produce fluid into sacs that are located on either side of the anus. This fluid is assumed to be a scent marker that is useful in delineating territory. Anal sac disorders involve impaction of anal sac fluid, inflammation of the sac(s), and abscess of the sac(s), which can lead to anal gland rupture. Impaction is the most commonly occurring type of anal gland disorder.  It is very painful to the cat and veterinary care is needed. Your veterinarian will express the contents of the anal sacs if they are not already ruptured. Abscessed anal sacs will be opened in order to allow drainage. The sacs will then be cleaned and flushed and have antibiotics infused into them.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm moving this to the health forum. As noted by @P3 and The King  this sounds like a medical issue. You definitely should consult your vet. It could even be an abscess somewhere, and the fluid may be unrelated to the penis at all. I would call the vet and schedule an appointment. Until the vet sees him, keep an eye for any other changes in behavior or anything which could indicate a medical problem.

Needless to say, if by chance the cat isn't neutered, he should be, regardless of anything else :) Pet cats should be neutered for many reasons.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes he is desexed. He gets his glands drained regularly..im aware of the smell..this smell was musty..not horribly strong but i have a good nose. Partner said it looked the same as human "stuff" and Jinx had his boy bit out. Im not so worried if thats what it was..im just wondering why.
a lady i know through a rescue group told me to keep an eye and she has had similar with one of her cats but did not elaborate.
I might ring the vets and see what they say..ill take him in if they say to. I have tomorrow off so ill ring in the am.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It wouldn't explain the smell, but if a neutered cat is ejaculating something it could mean that some tissue was left behind when his neuter was performed. Either way you should get the vet to check him over.

Hope it isn't anything serious.

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know..im a little worried now. Seems to be the year of bad luck for my fur babies. Ill call the vet in the am to see if the can fit him in.

Thanks all...will keep you updated. :)

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either way there is an infection going on and it warrants a visit to the vet and possible surgery .  If he's had absesses before it could mean it's a chronic condition and he needs to have it "closed" so it can't obstruct any longer.

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey my question was sound. I have 25 years of medicine under my belt-no not animal but I know about mammal physiology and asking questions is how clinicians narrow down diagnosis.  I also teach human sexuality so I know my way around a penis.

A male cat that has not been neutered is more likely to spray a mixture of urine-HORRIBLE SMELL with some semen-WHITE color in order to mark territory. Male cats that have been fixed can and do STILL spray urine but the color would not usually be white more yellow-however the same horrid smell would be there as spraying is not typical urine. You would need an enzyme cleaner to remove the pungent smell and I suggest you do so as cats that spray often re-spray in the same area.

In addition, there are many types of infections that can create a milky discharge from the penis with a bad smell and with a fixed cat this is also an option.  I read your report and it sounds like you think it came from the penis not the anal sac. But you were not there your partner was. Hmmm

I would watch the cat over the next few days especially in the bathroom. If either urination or defecation seems strained or any blood or more white matter is seen you should go to the vet. Push wet food and fluids to encourage elimination of both types. Also watch the kitty for excessive licking of either area-take a look yourself to see if there is anything unusual looking.

Anal gland secretion smell and spray smell (urine w markers) are quite unique (both horrible) but you can tell the difference. Too bad I cannot sniff through the computer.  Ewww.

Good luck with your sweety!

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just rang the vets and they said if he is fine within himself and going to the toilet as usual..the only thing they could do would be take his temp. They said desexing 3 years ago would have presented problems before now so they are not worried about that. They are going to chat to other vets today and ring me if they think its worth bringing him in.
He is happy and running around. Seems fine. I have to pop in this arvo so ill have a better chat with them then. :)

Also i know his wee smell (its never very strong) from his anal glad leaky smell (thats putrid) this smell was musty and maybe because our loo is a small room by its self. I opened the window yesterday but the smell is still there. When partner described it as like human ejaculate i took his word.
Im wondering if this is common in cats and Jinx had never had it happen thats maybe why it smelt? When i googled it, i found a few similar stories but you cant believe all you read i guess.
Anyway ill update when ive been to the vets in a few hours. I have to drop my little calico girls wee sample off so ill have a better chat then and whip Jinx up if they think they need to see him :)

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about the neutering process. Usually the cats that come to me have already been neutered. I did have a neutered male 30 years ago that did the same thing. It would only happen during petting sessions so it was definitely associated with pleasure and It had a slightly musky smell. Needless to say, his petting sessions were short (but frequent) so that whatever was going stopped before it involved me. He didn't spray, or go "tomming." He was very territorial though. And a hunter. This cat retained his testicles. I remember his incision was tiny - a little snip. The other 2 neutered males I've had since did not retain their testicles. Is the vet you are seeing tomorrow the same vet that did the operation? I'm just wondering if a different technique was used.

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No i got him dome at the rspca and they dont do vet checks now so i cant go back to them. Also for about a year i was complaining about his anal glands and they did not give a damn about it so i started seeing my local vets. I see 3 vets there that are all great vets. They all see my 4 fur babies regularly so know the history and im comfortable with all of them.
jinx had testies taken off and when in the loo with partner, he does get pats...

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He tries to get on my lap when i go to the loo but being a girl im in and out lol so no time for that!
He will spend half hr in there with partner and is always purring away. Dont think it will happen now lol.

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok the vets were not worried. I spoke to one vet that had a cat who regularly did this. She said to keep an eye on how long we pat him for and just to keep an eye out for how much he "enjoys" the pat. Also to keep an eye on his toilet and eating. Im a little less stressed now :)