Ultrasound belly: how long til fur grows back?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the last time Krista got an ultrasound, it took a long time for her fur to grow back from the shaved belly. I just don’t remember how long. She had her most recent ultrasound on October 21. Two months ago. She also still has bare spots where they shaved for her IVs. She got IV fluids that weekend too.
0409A775-947F-46B9-A2B0-52717DE72063.jpeg
Any guess or bets on how long it might be before her belly and arms are grown back?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am wondering if the older they get the less likely the hair will fill back in at all - or in its entirely. Or, perhaps - at least take a lot longer time to do so.

Feeby was only 5 at the time of her bladder surgery, but the hair on her 'arm' and on her belly never has completely filled back in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if the older they get the less likely the hair will fill back in at all - or in its entirely. Or, perhaps - at least take a lot longer time to do so.

Feeby was only 5 at the time of her bladder surgery, but the hair on her 'arm' and on her belly never has completely filled back in.
I don’t remember about her belly because she’s never been big on having her belly touched. But I do remember her arms came back in from earlier this year. And her feeding tube shaved neck grew back in. She can regrow her hair. I just don’t remember how long it takes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always found that younger animals seem to regain their hair more quickly, although Jamie who is three seemed to have a bald tummy for about 3 months but everything came back. My older animals, not all cats, seemed to have more difficulty with the hair returning quickly.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of mine had one earlier this month, so I'll be keeping track, but for another cat, it seemed to take around five months, if I remember correctly. Longer than I expected it to!

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats had dental cleanings last month and their fur is mostly grown back. But for cancer cat, because he's immunosuppressed, it's been more like "10 months to never." :)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the season and/or temperature the same the time before this? Did you check her pictures on your phone/computer/her thread on TCS -- that might help to see how long it took.

With Hima, after getting IV the first week of January, the hair on her arms took 1,5 months to fully grew back. But she had a big-pimple-size wound on her belly around March and that never totally grew back because she kept grooming herself there.

They say hair grows back faster in the summer but with Hima I found the opposite to be true and I think it's mostly because she sleeps longer in the winter and spends so little time outside, so less self-grooming, no flea-related itching, etc From time to time she also sheds more hair in the winter, presumably because her body gets confused with the heating on at home but much colder outside...

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy had an ultrasound a couple months back and it's growing back but at a snails pace, I don't know if it will all grow completely back because of his age and condition. He's also suspected to have cancer and he's 13 yo. I may not have him long enough :(

Krista sure is a cutie. Sending my love.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Hank, at 3 months the fur had just filled in (not quite completely). Unfortunately he passed, so I can't say how long it would have taken in total.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always found it takes longer than one would think. Our Maine Coon kitten was spayed early November and her belly still hasn't caught up to the rest of her fur. And when our short hair cat had his belly shaved for a sonogram, it seemed like months before it grew in again.