Ultrasonic Humidifiers

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone own an ultrasonic humidifier and can vouch for it not irritating your cat? I want to get one but apparently they emit a high pitched sound that may or may not be audible by cats. Any experiences? If yes, which ones do you use?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had a Crane cool mist humidifier for two years. I didn't think about the fact that it was ultrasonic when I bought it, but neither Saipha nor Mishka have shown any indication of being irritated by it. Honestly, I don't think they pay any attention to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response. I ended up emailing the manufacturer of the humidifier I want to purchase and they said that the ultrasonic frequency is at 2.5hz. I don’t think cats can detect that as they can hear frequencies between 55hz to 79khz. So it should be fine? Does my logic seem reasonable?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That seems a bit weird. The ultrasonic range is 20kHz and up. 2.5 Hz is actually infrasonic.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That seems a bit weird. The ultrasonic range is 20kHz and up. 2.5 Hz is actually infrasonic.
I just realized that after I posted too! I emailed the manufacturer back to ask if they meant 2.5mhz.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I accidentally got an ultrasonic oil diffuser instead of a humidifier. I plan on returning that but when I did test it out, there was no noise/my cat wasn't disturbed by it. By any chance, which humidifier do you have in mind? I don't mind shelling out if it's excellent but I'm quite torn between two humidifiers.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I accidentally got an ultrasonic oil diffuser instead of a humidifier. I plan on returning that but when I did test it out, there was no noise/my cat wasn't disturbed by it. By any chance, which humidifier do you have in mind? I don't mind shelling out if it's excellent but I'm quite torn between two humidifiers.
I'm looking at this one:
I haven't received a response yet from the seller about the frequency but I'll let you know once I find out. It must be 2.5 mhz and not hz because otherwise it wouldn't be ultrasonic. :dunno:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also found this one:
It states on the page that the frequency is 2.4mhz. It is cheaper than the other one and has good reviews so I might go with this one instead.

Edit: nevermind, I don't think this one works well as a humidifier. It's meant to be more of a diffuser.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That last one you found is similar to what I thought mine would be lol But the first one looks promising... it has a remote control and it purifies the air too! Please do let me know.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will do. Just got mine today.

So after doing some more research I think most ultrasonic humidifiers work at a frequency that is well above the range that cats can detect, but I would always contact the manufacturer to be sure.

The other thing to note is that they should be used with distilled water. Otherwise, they can leave little white dust particles around the room that can cause allergies or bacterial growth.

Olwince

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been using this diffuser and it's smaller variant around the house for the last couple years. Neither cats seems to mind them and sleeps on the bed adjacent to one of them regularly (while it's on). When diffusing essential oils I just dilute them with tap water, which are safe to drink in this part of the world, although I'm thinking of using purified water just for the peace of mind.

I most frequently use frankincense essentail oil with the diffusers. Just as a precaution, I follow a list of cat-safe essential oils even though I'm not using the oil on the cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two ultrasonic humidifiers going right now!They are about 4 years old and I use them all winter with no reaction from the cats whatsoever. I use RO water in them so no buildup, if you use water with calcium you will notice a fine white 'dust' all over the house. I love them because they have no filters which need replacing which can be expensive, Especially with the new humidifiers that stop running when they think they need a new filter, way too often! I think they are better for cats, no static electricity that cause them to take off like a rocket!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you guys think about just boiling tap water before you use it? Would it be helpful?

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope no one minds if I quote this from a Q & A. That way there are no doubts. The answer is good enough for me, as I too considered this after a recent purchase of two ultrasonic humidifiers. My local grocery wants $1 per gallon of distilled. If I can't find it at a much lower cost I may not be keeping these units. Packaging stated the ceramic filter would help with the minerals in the water, but from user reviews, there is still the accumulation of the white mineral dust if you use tap water and not distilled.
Q:
Is it true that boiled tap water is the same as distilled water?
- Laura (age 50)
Kentucky
A:
Nope. Tap water has dissolved minerals in it. If you boil the water, but obviously not enough to boil it all away, some water will leave as vapor, so the water left will have a higher concentration of minerals than at the start. Distilled water is what you get if you gather that water vapor on some cool surface. It's almost pure water, with the minerals and other impurities left behind.

There are a few purposes for which the boiled and distilled water are similar. For example, if there is a problem with bacteria in the water, both the boiled and distilled water should be safe to drink, since the heat should kill the bacteria. If the problem is not bacteria but the presence of toxic or otherwise undesirable solutes, then boiling will not help but distilling it will. This is a problem when, say, converting seawater to drinking water -- boiling will not remove the salt but distilling it will.

Mike W. (and Tom)
Reference - from Ask the Van - The Physics Van - University of Illinois Department of Physics - Q & A: boiled or distilled | Department of Physics | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks KatKnapper KatKnapper . Decided to just go out and purchase some distilled water today.

AL MO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking at this one:
I haven't received a response yet from the seller about the frequency but I'll let you know once I find out. It must be 2.5 mhz and not hz because otherwise it wouldn't be ultrasonic. :dunno:

'i just read an article about some aromas being VERY UNHEALTHY for cats. If I find the link, i'll come back and post. the person who had shared ended up at the vet with her cat.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'i just read an article about some aromas being VERY UNHEALTHY for cats. If I find the link, i'll come back and post. the person who had shared ended up at the vet with her cat.
Yeah, you shouldn’t use essential oils in it. I only use water.