Ulcer/abscess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Corip8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Corip8 Corip8 - you said the Vet told you that her "heart tests were perfect".........do you know exactly what heart tests were done?

One more thing: when you answered about today's visit and her mouth issues.....you only mentioned the tooth - then, you talked about a seizure and said nothing else about the mouth. Did the Vet actually see the ulcer-like spot? What was said about it?

I'm being 'picky'......but, these are the two issues you brought in there today. Is there anything else at all that you can tell us about them from today's consult?
I’m probably all over the place so I’ll take it back to the very beginning. I originally brought her in 3 weeks ago thinking constipation.They did the X-rays and said she wasn’t going because she must not have been eating much. We had just got back from a short trip, during which the apartment construction started. So thought stress from those things.
At that time they took blood and suggested the full blood panel and probnp test because the vet thought her heart looked “suspicious”.
All that came back perfect.
Yes, her lungs at that time looked a bit bad with a couple spots that concerned the vet. But, she told me it’s nothing definitive and could really be from long term bronchial inflammation. I was told to watch and wait and follow up in a few months.
Started her on mirataz and she was doing better. Noticed that sore on her gum. Went into the vet that day and yes, she did see it. Didn’t seem overly concerned with it and didn’t say much besides it should heal itself in a couple days. Then turned her attention to the seizure Kina started having. Nothing else was done or said about her mouth.
A couple weeks ago I did notice her starting to have these little seizure things. They weren’t severe and it looked like she was just freezing up scared. At that time I also just thought anxiety. That was up until the full blown seizure a couple days ago. I am still sooo shook up from that.
I started her on phenobarbital yesterday. So it’s really day by day right now. She did eat a little last night after acting like she was dying all day. She’s my drama queen.

Corip8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as anything else from the consult she just mentioned that seizures could be a tumor given her age and perfect blood tests. We left it at that.
So she told me to give her the seizure meds and just keep her comfy and wait it out to see what happens and how she progresses. So that’s where I’m at.
She’s also on lorazepam to stay calm as needed. So sometimes I can’t tell if she is just feeling the drugs or weak from being that sick.
Kina is my first cat. I love her very much and I wish I had more answers for her. I am doing all I can to help her stay happy through this. Honestly she is eating up all the extra attention. Lol

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you talk to the veterinarian about giving her Prednisolone. Sometimes it can help if it is a brain tumor. It’s not a cure but can buy you some more time maybe.

Also, keep in mind if you did do the expensive imaging, she would be anesthetized and that probably wouldn’t be good for her.

I am sorry you are going through this.

Corip8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Corip8 Corip8 How are you holding up?
I’m hanging in there thanks. Trying to stay positive and just enjoy time with her.

She’s doing alright too. Been on the phenobarbital for 3 days and so far so good. Also called and got antibiotics for her tooth. I really hate pilling her but it needs to be done. 🙂 making it work one day at a time.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m hanging in there thanks. Trying to stay positive and just enjoy time with her.

She’s doing alright too. Been on the phenobarbital for 3 days and so far so good. Also called and got antibiotics for her tooth. I really hate pilling her but it needs to be done. 🙂 making it work one day at a time.
Good. 🙂 I'm really glad to hear that on both fronts!

Oh dear did the tooth get infected? That's an added thing you didn't need right now.

Yes. one day at a time.

Please know that you have support here when / if you have a bad day or even to celebrate the victorious days! Be thinking of you both and sending good vibes your way.

XOXOXO

Corip8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good. 🙂 I'm really glad to hear that on both fronts!

Oh dear did the tooth get infected? That's an added thing you didn't need right now.

Yes. one day at a time.

Please know that you have support here when / if you have a bad day or even to celebrate the victorious days! Be thinking of you both and sending good vibes your way.

XOXOXO
Yes, I checked her mouth again yesterday and that sore was still there so I requested some meds. I figured since she is still trying to eat the poor thing should be in less pain if it’s bugging her.

Thank you so much for the support. I’ve just been working through all the emotions. Accepting this is how it is and just treasuring every moment. I’m incredibly sad, but for now she is still able to enjoy most days so that makes me smile ❤

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I hope you are doing okay.
One thing you have to remember is that cats don’t read medical books and they don’t follow rules.

I have seen cats with horrible lungs on radiograph that still did fine for many years. I have seen a cat with nasal lymphoma live happy for years without radiation or chemotherapy.

I don’t know what area you are in, but has she been tested for Cryptococcus? It is a blood test titer. Cryptococcus is in the soil and in bird droppings among other things and I have seen plenty of cats get it that were indoor only. The classic presentation is nasal but it is sneaky and can go undetected for a long time and then only cause neurological issues like seizures. Many regular veterinarians don’t think about checking for it. It’s just a thought.

The above being said, I am not sure a vet trip and the stress that goes along with it would be good for your kitty right now. Stress can bring on seizures in an already susceptible cat. So, if she was mine, I would avoid anything stressful for her.

Seizures are different and scary as can be. It was the right thing for your vet to focus on the seizure during the exam. You have to remember that your cat isn’t aware of the seizure. Only you are. And while you do need to stop the seizure when it is happening, it’s not like she is aware.

Did your vet give you a rescue drug in case she seizures at home. I would ask about it if you want. There are medications, Diazepam, Midazolam, that can be given rectal in case of an emergency. This may not be right for your cat, but still I would ask about it.

Another thing is, she doesn’t know anything is wrong with her. So, please don’t tell her.
She is a beautiful cat.

Corip8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I hope you are doing okay.
One thing you have to remember is that cats don’t read medical books and they don’t follow rules.

I have seen cats with horrible lungs on radiograph that still did fine for many years. I have seen a cat with nasal lymphoma live happy for years without radiation or chemotherapy.

I don’t know what area you are in, but has she been tested for Cryptococcus? It is a blood test titer. Cryptococcus is in the soil and in bird droppings among other things and I have seen plenty of cats get it that were indoor only. The classic presentation is nasal but it is sneaky and can go undetected for a long time and then only cause neurological issues like seizures. Many regular veterinarians don’t think about checking for it. It’s just a thought.

The above being said, I am not sure a vet trip and the stress that goes along with it would be good for your kitty right now. Stress can bring on seizures in an already susceptible cat. So, if she was mine, I would avoid anything stressful for her.

Seizures are different and scary as can be. It was the right thing for your vet to focus on the seizure during the exam. You have to remember that your cat isn’t aware of the seizure. Only you are. And while you do need to stop the seizure when it is happening, it’s not like she is aware.

Did your vet give you a rescue drug in case she seizures at home. I would ask about it if you want. There are medications, Diazepam, Midazolam, that can be given rectal in case of an emergency. This may not be right for your cat, but still I would ask about it.

Another thing is, she doesn’t know anything is wrong with her. So, please don’t tell her.
She is a beautiful cat.
Thanks for checking in! I am doing alright. Trying to stay positive. Although the vet made it seem cancer was probable, the truth is we do not have a definite answer. I am trying to remind myself of that and hang onto that little hope she will be here for a while.

She has had no seizure activity for 8 days now on her phenobarb. Downside is that she is a bit wobbly and tired/sluggish still. Vet suggested maybe lowering the dose and then going in for a blood check in a couple weeks. At that time I will ask about Cryptococcus. I’ve never heard of that. I didn’t know about rescue meds either so I will call and check if that is something I should have.

Other than being really mad at me for a couple hours after pilling her twice a day, she seems pretty content and happy right now. ❤

Corip8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For anyone still following I just wanted to update that she crossed the rainbow bridge this morning. She completely quit eating last week and her breathing was becoming more and more rapid last night. I had to make that call first thing today.
She went very peacefully and I feel a great sense of sadness, but also relief that she is no longer suffering. No more pills, no more, seizures, no more being afraid.

I love you my Kina girl. 💕❤💕

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Kina. She is a beautiful girl who clearly lived a charmed life with you and I hope that those memories will return to comfort you. You did everything that you could for her in the face of a daunting diagnosis, and one in which any interventions may have done nothing except to complicate her quality of life.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Once again, I am very sorry for your loss. When a cat passes, we lock the thread in this forum out of respect. You have posted a beautiful tribute to Kina in Crossing the Bridge.

My sweet girl Kina 🌈

Status
Not open for further replies.