UK wet food advice

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I live in England and have two cats who have both had inflammatory conditions in the past including colitis and because of that I can’t feed them any food including gums, fillers etc. For the last 3 years they have been eating ziwi chicken food and been doing extremely well.
But it’s come to the point where the food is just so expensive and has doubled in price and I am looking for an alternative.
I can’t find anything that is anywhere as near as good quality.

I bought a pack of thisVenandi Animal Fresh Chicken Grain Free Natural Wet Cat Food, 6 x 400 g, 330416

the ingredients looked good but I opened a can and there’s ahuge mass of jelly like substance but I can’t see anything listed that it could be.

I have tried mixing it in gradually with the ziwi but I do t think it’s agreeing with them.

I need a cheaper alternative to ziwi that will be ok for them.

Any one got any advice that could help?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - just in case you haven't had a chance to widen your net of online shop options, you might take a look at amazon.uk, and also zooplus, and there's also monsterpetsupplies .co.uk and petsupermarket and discountpetfoods.
Additionally, I'm seeing that petshop .co.uk is advertising orijen on sale.

You're looking for a food that doesn't have a lot of ingredients, and that has one or another type of protein listed as the first few ingredients in the list. You could try a rotational menu, where you feed ziwi now and then through the week while alternating with something else or a couple of other foods, to help the budget. --All the best to you and your babies!

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feline Natural is a New Zealand brand that is very, very similar to Ziwi and their website says they're sold in several countries around the world. My cats prefer Feline Natural over Ziwi, and they like their pouches more than their canned foods.

High Meat Cat Food, Wholefood Ingredients, Made in NZ | Feline Natural

I found this UK site that sells some Feline Natural online. I'm not familiar with it so I don't know if it's a reputable site or not. I actually used to live in England and I rememeber one particular online store that was a very large, very popular one... but the name is escaping me right now. I will come back and update this if I recall the name!

Feline Natural BPA-Free & Gelatin-Free Canned Cat Food, Chicken & Venison 6oz 12 Pack

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still don't recall the pet supply store in the UK, but I did remember this list of foods without gums and some without thickeners (this is a U.S. based list). I've seen Tiki Cat available in the UK, I hope more of these brands are also available. Another potential idea is asking your vet about homemade food that could be mixed 50/50 with Ziwi, maybe that would help offset the cost increase of the Ziwi.

No gums/no agar agar
Rawz
Tiki Cat (shredded cans only, their pouches and pâtés generally have thickeners)
Orijen (all their wet food includes fish, even if it's not in the name)
Feline Natural

No gums, has agar agar
Dr. Elsey's
Lotus patés and Just Juicy
Identity
NutriSource & Pure Vita
Essence
Halo (kitten food only, all their adult foods have gums)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feline Natural is a New Zealand brand that is very, very similar to Ziwi and their website says they're sold in several countries around the world. My cats prefer Feline Natural over Ziwi, and they like their pouches more than their canned foods.

High Meat Cat Food, Wholefood Ingredients, Made in NZ | Feline Natural

I found this UK site that sells some Feline Natural online. I'm not familiar with it so I don't know if it's a reputable site or not. I actually used to live in England and I rememeber one particular online store that was a very large, very popular one... but the name is escaping me right now. I will come back and update this if I recall the name!

Feline Natural BPA-Free & Gelatin-Free Canned Cat Food, Chicken & Venison 6oz 12 Pack
Thank you. They used to eat this when I lived in Australia but haven't been able to find this since I moved.