Ugh!! Swheat Scoop litter infested with larvae!

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got a very creepy and disgusting Halloween surprise--our brand new (unopened) bag of Swheat Scoop litter was infested with moth larvae! Yesterday, Bob and I started noticing small caterpillers or worms crawling in our workout room where we keep the litter. We killed the ones we saw using Cedarcide spray and thought we were done. Later that day, we went back into that room, and there were more larvae... EVERYWHERE!! So gross! They were crawling up the walls and all over Bob's folded workout clothes in the closet. We couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Fortunately, our apartment complex had an exterminator on the property spraying for ants and we called him in. When he opened the bag of SS, a dozen moths few out and we discovered where the infestation was. I called Petco, since we still had the receipt from when we bought it. They know about the problem--they said they've had problems with Boll Weevils, too, in SS. Petco obviously didn't want the bag returned, but they did request we bring them the UPC code. They'll give us store credit for a different brand. They said that even though "The World's Best Cat Litter" is corn-based, too, their bag is tough plastic and the bugs don't burrow in, so maybe we'll go back to that. Anyway, thought I'd give y'all a heads up. No more Swheat Scoop for me!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a complication that all grain products have, mostly because it's very hard to keep grain pest out. I know I'm not the only one who'd accidentally brought home a box of moth or weevil infested cereal.

Meal moths aren't that bad, luckily. Freezing does kill the larvae, so if you have any flour or cornmeal, store that in the freezer. Put your cereals (in their bags) in an air tight food storage containers. It's a good idea to do this with pastas and bread, too.
The reason: Meal moth larvae can chew through thinner plastic such as what bags are made out of. I've seen them chew through glad freezer bags so thicker plastic bags aren't impervious.
To help combat them go get some pheromone baited sticky moth traps. These contain no pesticides so as long as no one gets stuck to the trap, they're extremely safe. The moths, strangely, avoid light and will fly up high and crawl into any cracks or behind things to hide. Sucking them up with the vacuum cleaner hose works well.

Note: Meal moths are strictly grain moths. They will not harm clothing, they cannot digest it. However the larvae will web up on fabrics.

Weevils are on a different level... they're heat and cold tolerant, and after years of being sprayed with a lot of pesticides, they're pretty resistant. If you get weevils the best solution is making sure anything that could be infested is thrown out, cleaning, and putting new grain foods in the freezer or containers.

Grain mites are another common pest in anything grain. Anytime you open up anything from natural litters to flour, take a very close look for them. They're light colored and tiny, so it will be difficult to see them. They can be kept out by freezing.

Never store corn or wheat based litters in a shed or garage. Keep them inside at room temp or (in some areas) keep extra litter in the freezer. The same holds true for any grain based food and pet food (meal moths love pet food). The reason the litters get infested is because they sit for some time in an unheated/cooled warehouse.
Inspect your litter closely at least once a week to make sure no pests have invaded the boxes.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And that, my friends, is why I use pine wood pellets from Lowe's or Home Depot. About 8 bucks for 40lbs...or you can get the 14lb bag of them at PetSmart for for 6.29.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

And that, my friends, is why I use pine wood pellets from Lowe's or Home Depot. About 8 bucks for 40lbs...or you can get the 14lb bag of them at PetSmart for for 6.29.
most feed and hardware( smaller) have them for 3-5 for 40lbs

janco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG I just had this happen...last time ever buying that.  I almost thought my cats had a parasite.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just popping in to say I've been using Swheat Scoop since 2011 and have never had an infested bag.  Take care!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've had problems with moths in Swheat Scoop occasionally but not enough that I'd stop using it.

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, dear, I've been using Swheat scoop and have never heard of this. But now I'm a little paranoid.... Maybe I'll go back to pine or walnut (though walnut is expensive). If/when I buy the wheat kind again I'll try to have a look at it before I use it.

I would try to get a refund if this happened to me.

Last edited:

billo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been having the same issue the last few days. Like the previous writer I discovered the worms coming from this litter from a brand new bag. Besides crawling up the bathroom walls to the ceiling, these things also seem to really like the little bathroom carpets we keep under and around the litter box. I just washed and bleached them. Someone should tell the manufacturer that we buy this stuff to solve problems, not to generate them.

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'm okay. My cat won't use anything other that Cat Attract. T_T

That sounds like a nightmare though. I would never buy that brand again.

christina mew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just cleaning the litter boxes and screamed at the sudden appearance of hundreds of tiny white worms! They weren't on the fecal matter, and the cat is up to date on his Paradyne applications, so I know these disgusting vermin are in it for the litter. Blue Buffalo, to be exact; the kind made of walnut shells. Now the cat and I are waiting for Daddy to come home with (ugh) clay litter and new trays.
I'm also left wondering if I need to deworm MYSELF?!
I. Feel. So. Violated.
Blue Buffalo, what have you done?!

Oh, and the bugs in World's Best cat litter? We used to be loyal fans of that litter until the day the bag was opened and a billion nasty things slithered out as from Pandora's Box. Though that litter is gone, the vermin have stayed on, and they've caused irreparable harm to our home and some treasures.

ARGH!

Lula's Family

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Personally I take the occurrence of harmless grain larvae AS A GOOD SIGN. My priority in choosing materials that will be in regular contact with our cat is focused on avoiding pesticides, herbicides, and marketing enhancement odor control chemicals added for consumer appeal - since our precious girl was diagnosed with TCC. Ive been home with her since the surgery to remove the growth in her bladder and have been shredding paper toweling, changed several times a day as a necessity, and a useful litmus to monitor her urine for blood. It has been 2 weeks and sutures and e collar have been removed. She is doing great - presenting as her normal, wonderful and vital self, with regular ultra sounds in her future and Faith and healthy choices as our family mantra. We have read the data on TCC, so we are cherishing every moment.
Remember that we live on a planet with millions of other life forms - the Nature's deficit disorder of our human modernity intensely influences a market driven society - and is readily utilized by the pet care market. There is a lack of transparency, defaulting to "our special proprietary blend" ad infinitum.
Soon I will be returning to work, and unable to change the paper toweling every time Lu uses the box. We are looking for an honestly safe, non "enhanced" litter.
This thread has actually put Swheat Scoop as one of my top contenders to consider. I sincerely hope my inquiry into its origin and characteristics leads me to a healthy choice. The occasional seasonal bout of harmless larvae also commonly occurs in bird seed - when the seed is viable. Dont be afraid of signs of Life - Be comforted IMO.