Ugh! Parasites

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Kaleb has Giardia. He's on Panacur 222 mg .

I was so freaked out when I found out that I almost fainted. I was so sure that everything was A O.K. but I was wrong.

I made sure the dose was safe and that he could get the medicine anytime, morning oe evening with his wet food meal. The stuff came in a small square plastic baggie and it was this white thinned out powdery substance. When I saw it I looked at it funny and the receptionist was like "I know right!"

Ok! Whatever!

But its day 3 and I'm already feeling better knowing the little buggers are going away. Kaleb seems happier too, actually. Thank goodness I got him to the vet sooner rather than later.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But it won't go away if you don't sterilize. Giardia is nasty. You will need to either steam clean everything he has touched or spray it down (a lot) with a 10% ammonia mix. 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water. Dump his cat box. Then clean it with antibacterial soap. Then spray with ammonia. Then clean it again. Wash his blankets in Hot soapy water. Giardia is one of those nasty parasites (single cell, not a worm) that can be transferred to humans and other pets with a compromised immune system. I would also wash his butt with warm water and baby wash since it is almost always diarrhea.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's bleach that you want, not ammonia, and a 10% solution is a ratio of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water, NEVER mix ammonia and bleach, extremely dangerous (poison gas). Yes Giardia is quite contagious but its hard to disinfect while she has it. I would isolate her in her own room and wear disposable gloves when cleaning and feeding etc and not wear the same shoes in and out of the room. When she's over it then i would disinfect.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's bleach that you want, not ammonia, and a 10% solution is a ratio of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water, NEVER mix ammonia and bleach, extremely dangerous (poison gas). Yes Giardia is quite contagious but its hard to disinfect while she has it. I would isolate her in her own room and wear disposable gloves when cleaning and feeding etc and not wear the same shoes in and out of the room. When she's over it then i would disinfect.
You are correct for Giardia. I started with possibly Coccidia and bleach won't kill Coccidia. Since Ammonia is more potent than bleach, and doesn't seem to stain, I chose ammonia. Just in case Coccidia is there too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Kashmir and I really think its going to be a challenge getting him to get his last round of meds because he hasn't been eating as much during certain time periods so I have to watch. I'm a worried Mama right now.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You never said how old he is. Or, if you did I missed it. And what are you feeding him. Also, be sure to give him electrolytes either mix in his water or syringe it to him.
And stephenq is correct on the mixture of 1-9. I am horrible at math. I just mixed 2 cups of water and poured quite a bit of ammonia in it, so it's probably more like 30% mixture. But since I move the kittens to another room and air the sprayed one out for 8 hours, it's all good.