Ugh Cat Hair!!!

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
never noticed how much my cats shed i moved into a new place 3 weeks ago a small 1 bed room apt with all hardwood floors and my floors are full of hair even my food when ie at in bed im always getting hair in my food ect i have a hairbrush that i try to brush them out once a week but it doesnt seem to workk its getting pretty crazy tbh my clothes and bed sheets are littered with it too

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are your cats long haired? Even Feeby, who is not long haired gets brushed 3 times a week. Tbh, she really could use it daily, especially during shedding seasons (spring, and late fall). And, that is just one cat.

I also have a lint roller that I use on clothes, bedding as needed, and sweep my hardwood floors 2-3 times a week as well.

Some cats just shed more than others. What kind of brush are you using? Maybe you need to get a different kind?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are your cats long haired? Even Feeby, who is not long haired gets brushed 3 times a week. Tbh, she really could use it daily, especially during shedding seasons (spring, and late fall). And, that is just one cat.

I also have a lint roller that I use on clothes, bedding as needed, and sweep my hardwood floors 2-3 times a week as well.

Some cats just shed more than others. What kind of brush are you using? Maybe you need to get a different kind?
no butone has long hair he looks like a longhaired

terry my white haired cat sheds the worst its tiny white hairs everywhere luckly my black longer haired when he sheds it goes into balls not separate hairs

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know switching to high quality diet cut my cats shedding completely in half. One was a feral born outside and he has really odd rabbit like fur and I used to just brush and brush and brush him for hours at a time and always produced fur from him. I wish I still have the photos of the piles he’d make in just an hour session.
Now however since he’s been on a high quality meat based diet I can brush him through once a day for a couple mins and that’s all the hair I can get out of him anymore.
I would brush them once a day. That will help and of course if you aren’t feeding quality meat based food try to make the change if u can. I recall a food thread by you once awhile ago but can’t rememebr the final decision you made on it. I’m sure you figured something out with everyone’s help.
And of course they’re cats and u have more than one and you now live in a smaller space. Fur will be around. Just try to vacuum more and sweep more if u can. It just comes with the territory.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 4 DSH boys so I understand what you are dealing with. Plus I'm kind of lazy so I hate spending a bunch of time vacuuming cat hair and not all my boys even like being brushed. To keep everyone sane this shedding season I shaved the worst offender and will probably do so with the rest. The fur will grow back, he doesn't mind being naked, and I am super pleased to have so substantially reduce the amount of cat hair floating around.
Screenshot_20190325-181608_Gallery.jpg

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
its not that i dont mind sweeping its that i mind food in my mouth and i cant even wipe my face off cause the hairs everywhere sticking t my body clothes ect its getting out of hand i kept brushing my white one last night and hair just keeps falling off him im thinking of shaving him bald lol

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling. I live in a fairly spacious 2 bedroom apartment but the fur is literally everywhere because of our 3 cats. And one of my cats has super fine soft fur that gets stuck in my eye. My bf and I are too lazy to brush or clean that often so we just submit to it lol.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some of these have been mentioned earlier, but you might want to really consider doing some tests to see if anything helps reduce the shedding, such as:

More wet cat food, ones that list specific meats (like chicken, beef, or fish) as the first two or three ingredients.

Reduce the amount of dry cat foods (and low-quality wet foods) which contain a lot of grains or other carbohydrates like wheat, corn, and soy. These ingredients are not as nutritious for cats as meat-based proteins, which can contribute to dry skin and shedding.

Adding omega fatty acid supplements (3 & 6) to their diets.

A comb or brush that has longer teeth/bristles. Some of the combs/brushes out there just aren't long enough to get through the hair enough to remove the underlying coat.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats aren't really so bad when you compare them to something like horses. I had horses for many years and every spring they shed out their thick winter coat. You could grab a handful and just pull it out. The entire top layer, more than an inch in depth, would just pull right off. If it warmed up pretty fast and they looked uncomfortable I would use a special toothed shedder to help them along. Pulled out buckets of fur. But it didn't go to waste. Birds building nests would grab clumps of it and use it to line their nests. Maybe you could gather up all the fur ans spin it into fabric. That would be interesting if it was actually possible.

Tuffysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have very little shedding from Tuffy and his diet is Fancy Feast wet. My son had a really bad shedding problem with his cat, who was on a dry diet. He switched to Fancy Feast Classic pate wet and shedding decreased a lot.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that the stress of the move caused them to shed a bit more than usual but as you are finding out hardwood floors show every bit of fur. Using washable throws on furniture and dusting the floor with something like a Swiffer Sweeper daily will cut down a great deal on the visible hair.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be that the stress of the move caused them to shed a bit more than usual but as you are finding out hardwood floors show every bit of fur. Using washable throws on furniture and dusting the floor with something like a Swiffer Sweeper daily will cut down a great deal on the visible hair.
its not even the floor that has me the most mad its my bed full of hair it evens ticks to my hands and i eat in my bed as well i feel like hair is in everything and nothing is nastier than the thought of swallowing hair in my food :(

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then get another bed spread, or whatever they are calling them now, perhaps in the next size up from your bed. Everyday when you make up your bed throw this spread on top and tuck under the edge of the mattress. When you get ready to get in bed untuck the spread around the edges, fold the sides and top and foot in to the center, fold again and put out of the way.

If you have a dryer run the spread through the drier regularly. BE SURE to check the link trap and the exhaust hose to the dryer weekly, they can catch fire from lint - not just cat hair, all lint.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m always looking for new ways to deal with cat hair. I recently let the salesperson at Bed Bath & Beyond talk me into a Pet Wedge. It doesn’t work on every kind of fabric, but it’s pretty darn good on most things, including my bedspread. Here I’m using it on a rug I use to protect an antique chest. Iris, the long-haired calico, hangs out on it a lot.
View media item 422344