Two year old skittish cat.

karozin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
I’m hoping I can get some advice. I have a rag doll mix cat that is two in a half yrs old.
I got him in June 2018. He was 3 mos old. I found him from a lady on FB who was selling the liter. I have never done anything like that
before and wasn’t educated in “ signs” to look for. The first sign she wouldn’t let us in her home. I honestly thought well, with three little
kids running outside it’s probably a tornado in there, I don’t blame her. The second sign, she knew we drove almost two hours and she kept bringing out the wrong kitten, I made it clear to her the kitten I wanted from the pictures. Finally she brings out the kitten in the picture and his eyes were goopy. I asked why and she didn’t know. She then kept saying this one is real shy, you don’t want “ her”. She told me it was a girl. ( He’s not). I took him and left. My friend said every time she opened the door she saw tons of cats roaming around in the house. I get home and call the vet immediately to get him in for a check up. I explained everything to my vet, she said it sounded like a animal abuse situation. My heart dropped after the vet I called the appropriate number to have this lady looked into. (I’ve never seen another ad w/ her selling cats again) He did have a nasty upper respiratory infection is why his eyes were goopy, got him on meds, he was good to go.
Ok, that’s the back story. Now, since June 18’ he’s been w/ me. Since day one he’s been extremely skittish to any unusual sound. He’s not a cuddler or approaches me for cuddles. Sometimes I’d say twice a week he’ll lay in front of me and let me pet him. Only purrs when I brush him. I say let’s do brushies and treatises and he comes running into his room( I have a room set up w/ everything cat you can think of for them, I have one other cat, a 3 in a half ya old purebred seal point Siamese) and, in the morning when he gets his FF he purrs and rolls on the ground. And, meow meow meows up a storm. Other than that never a purr or meow out of him.
In July 18’ I discovered feliway. I use it every month. I live in a little two bedroom apartment. It has never worked for him. But, I keep trying.
He’s like a little puppy, he does love to play. I play w/ him every single day. Maybe I give him too much attention? He zooms around just fine. It’s so hard to explain this, he’s heard let’s say the dishwasher a million times but, some days that’ll freak him out. He’ll get high alert, then grouch down like he’s scared. This fear will last about 30 secs to a minute. It’s always something every day, a few times a day. If I can whatever the sound is I’ll stop it immediately. It’s just me in the apartment. I’m a quiet person.
basically, he scares easily and isn’t a cuddly cat. Does he need medication? If so where do I begin trying to figure out what’s FIRST SAFEST for him and what’s best? It breaks my heart when he gets scared. What can I do? It’s been two in a half years. Can being treated badly his first 3 months scar him forever? My other boy, Ollie is a lover. He shows so much affection, purrs up a storm, always wants to be on my belly BUT wants nothing to do w/ the other ( Pookie) Now, Pookie just ADORES Ollie. That’s a whole bother thread.
Am I being wrong thinking Since Ollie is a cuddler I shouldn’t assume Pookie will be, too?
Any help, advice, suggestions would be so, so appreciative. Thank you.

Attachments

pmv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, some cats love to cuddle, others don't, it's not necessarily anything about how they were treated and more just about their unique personalities. As long as the cat is generally happy and enjoying life (definitely keep up the playtime - sounds like a great experience for you both) then you're doing good. I know it can be a bit disappointing when you want to cuddle a cat more than the cat wants to be cuddled by you, but for each cat, find a way that the two of you can express your love for each other and accept them as they are.

On his fear - I think one of the best things you can do is not react at all when he gets spooked. If he gets spooked and you either rush to silence the noise or rush to comfort him, you're basically sending the signal that his fear was justified. Cats definitely pick up human emotions and reactions, so if there's a loud noise and you don't react, it will help reassure your cat that the noise wasn't anything dangerous. It sounds like he's returning to normal pretty quickly after each incident, and not spending long portions of each day in fear.

Is he otherwise pretty confident in his space? Walking around with his tail up, etc.?

KingKirby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is also skittish and used to give me a wide berth even during play. Around 3 mths after he started staying with me I had him neutered, after which he caught a terrible cold. It might have been because he was feeling horrible, he started allowing me to pet him. From there he started approaching me and rubbing my ankles, but he still wouldn't let me carry or cuddle him. As with people, every cat has their own boundaries and preferences. I'm sure you'll make great progress with your beautiful kitty as your bond deepens over time and shared experiences! :thumbsup:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with pmv pmv . I have a cat who was so standoffish that I spent EIGHT YEARS wondering if she even liked me! I finally noticed that whatever room I was in, there she was. Just not a fan of PDA! Now that she's older, she's becoming more and more of an affection hog, and demands frequent pats and cuddles.

If your boy was an affectionate cat, I'd be iffy about ignoring him when he startles, but since he isn't, I think that pmv's advise is on the money again. Should he come to you for reassurance, by all means give him a stroke or two, tell him he's a good, brave cat, but don't fuss over him over-much.

Patience. Believe it or not, he's barely into adulthood. People think of cats a "full grown" when they are a year old, but mentally they're still kittens until they reach the end of their second year. He'd be, in human terms, about 25 now...not a kitten, but not really settled down, either.