Two Symmetrical Lumps On Belly

bace65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I would ask for a second opinion on these lumps on my cat's belly. My vet assured me they were just fat pads, but I am concerned about the size of these things. My cat is a 1 y.o unspayed cat, strictly indoors and the only pet in the house. She is 9 lbs and does not seem overweight at all, her waistline is slim except for the lumps. The lumps are soft and hang down, but are not particularly noticeable through her fur until given a shower as shown in the photos attached. The lumps are fairly symmetrical, so the vet ruled out hernias and tumors and did not deem x-rays as necessary. What do you guys think?

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was she chubbier before and lost weight? Has she ever had a litter? It looks like loose skin from being fat or having large milk bags.

It would be a good idea to spay her even if she doesn't go outside. Unspayed female cats have a high rate of reproductive disease, the risk goes up as she gets older.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you vet doesn't think it's a problem, she probably just has an extra large primordial pouch. Looking up some photos of cats with primordial pouches might ease your mind.

My senior male has always had a huge pouch, and my new female (spayed) kitten already has "bags" at 8 months old.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My slightly overweight 2 year old male has an abdomen just like that, his problem is stealing all the other cat's treats! I'm like you, I look at it once in a while and think "That is not normal!"He goes to get his booster shots soon, I'll see what the vet says, other than "My, he has wintered well!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bace65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was always below 8-9lbs, and never had a litter. I do intend on spaying her soon. I'm glad it doesn't look serious to you guys.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She looks quite normal to me, at least I'm used to seeing cats with bellies like that. My 14 year old male has had a big belly (we call them his udders) for years!

Badkitteh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Base65, my cat used to have the same thing!! He was a feral kitten who chose to join our pride. I had him neutered but he never really came around for cuddles. Now that he's 10, he has mellowed a little and he even let me touch his belly. He had the hanging pouch, but also 2 symmetrical hanging "balls". He wasn't bothered when I felt/handled them. They were softer sometimes and a little firmer at other times. Sometimes a little smaller, sometimes the size of a ping pong ball. No vet ever worried about them. He also cried every time he used the cat box. Just whiney goals. No constipation or weird stools. Last vet said they were fat pads or his waddles. He got and and steroids for skin issues. A couple days after the visit , the balls were GONE! And he hasn't cried once since in the cat box. Clearly it wasn't fat. Don't know if it could have been serious, but thought I'd tell you my story

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Echo, has this, I thought it was fat at first but it started growing, I took him to the vet and got a treatment and a diagnosis. There really isn't a name for it, but it's gone now.

I'm sure your cat is fine, although do take him to the vet.

~Echy

Badkitteh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Echo, has this, I thought it was fat at first but it started growing, I took him to the vet and got a treatment and a diagnosis. There really isn't a name for it, but it's gone now.

I'm sure your cat is fine, although do take him to the vet.

~Echy
Thanks. The lumps are gone for now and he doesn't cry when pooping. Glad to hear other cats have had this weird thing. Glad Echo is good now