Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm mainly looking for reassurance with this post. I have a 4 year old cat, Sophie, who is poorly some days, better the next few days, and then poorly again. I'm hoping someone else has been through the same experience. I'd like someone to tell me it will all be OK - that they had a cat with similar symptoms who quickly made a full recovery.

Her only symptoms are intermittent lethargy and lack of appetite. Her blood work only showed high globulin levels - i.e. inflammation somewhere. She doesn't have a fever, she isn't sneezing or coughing, she isn't vomiting, she doesn't have diarrhea or constipation, she isn't drinking more or less than usual, she is breathing normally, her teeth are fine, she doesn't have any wounds/sore spots on her body, she is moving easily (when she can be bothered), she is bright-eyed and alert, she didn't show any signs of discomfort/pain when the vet palpated her abdomen.

This is the saga. It has been a matter of better at times, only to relapse.

Friday evening - Had to be coaxed to eat, only ate about half her dinner.

Saturday -
Ate all her breakfast and half of dinner without any coaxing but spent all day in hiding. Conclusion: Bit better but still poorly.

Sunday - Ate some of her breakfast after coaxing but very little dinner, spent all day in hiding. Conclusion: Worse, needs to see a vet.

Monday - Morning she seemed back to normal, ate all her breakfast without coaxing and was her usual morning self so vet visit cancelled. But then had to be coaxed to eat any dinner. Conclusion: Argh! What is going on?

Tuesday - Much like yesterday, normal, hungry, alert and bright in the morning but faded by evening. Conclusion: not 100% but perhaps 80% so on the mend maybe?

Wednesday - Her usual self all day - morning and evening. Conclusion: Cured!

Thursday - Fine in the morning but in hiding with zero appetite in the evening. Conclusion: Off to the vet!

Today (Friday) - Ate all her breakfast and all her dinner but spent all day in hiding. The hiding could be result of the vet visit or could be because she still isn't feeling the best. The return of her appetite could be a result of medication (the vet gave her a painkiller and an anti-emetic) or could be because she is getting better. Conclusion: ?????

I'm supposed to continue dosing her with the painkillers and anti-nausea stuff but she is an ex-feral and I haven't been able to get the medication into her. The vet also said if she isn't better in 3 or 4 days to bring her back for an abdominal ultrasound. But I'm just not sure I can count on her being consistently well. She could be better in 3 days and then sick again 3 days after that.

Has anyone had a cat get sick like this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Could the on-off sessions be tied to different foods she is eating, as in some upset her stomach and others do not? Has she been losing weight? Has she been given all her vaccinations and boosters? What did the blood work entail - CBC/Chemistry panels (and T-4 - for thyroid)? Did they run a urinalysis?

I have an 18+ yo cat, that has up and down days of less eating and lethargy - although her lethargy is pretty much constant now. However, she is hyperthyroidic (being treated with meds), has CKD, and just recently diagnosed with lymphoma - the latter was based on inflammation that was picked up in her previous ultrasounds/FNA (fine needle aspiration) cytology. Despite all that, other than the eating issues and lethargy, she has no other symptoms of any of these diseases. But, given the age difference, I doubt sincerely any of this explains what is going on with Sophie.

My point in telling you about my cat is not for you to consider any of her issues apply to Sophie. It is more to illustrate that Sophie's symptoms could be from any number of potential issues, and they probably are not going to be identified here by other members whose cats are experiencing the same problems.

I think you will have to ask the vet what other tests, in addition to the ultrasound, are appropriate to try to rule out certain conditions, and hopefully help pinpoint the source of inflammation. Has the vet mentioned temporary use of an anti-inflammatory or prednisolone to see if either might help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet has prescribed medication (anti-nause and pain relief) but the problem with any medication is Step One is always - first get hold of your cat. I fail this step. Sophie was feral. I've had her for 18 months now. She sleeps with me (when she wants to) and lets me pet & brush her but handling her is not allowed. Perhaps in another 18 months, she'll trust me enough for that.

Good news is she's had two days straight of normal behaviour - her usual appetite and behaviour levels. Perhaps she has got over whatever it was. Fingers crossed.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet has prescribed medication (anti-nause and pain relief) but the problem with any medication is Step One is always - first get hold of your cat. I fail this step. Sophie was feral. I've had her for 18 months now. She sleeps with me (when she wants to) and lets me pet & brush her but handling her is not allowed. Perhaps in another 18 months, she'll trust me enough for that.

Good news is she's had two days straight of normal behaviour - her usual appetite and behaviour levels. Perhaps she has got over whatever it was. Fingers crossed.
Churus are an excellent bribe. Put a dab on the finger then the med, then some more Churu. More Churu again if they miss the medicine.

Nobel went from being an alligator when giving meds (I would beg the vet for a shot), to now I just sit in front of him and offer his medication. He takes it even without a treat mostly. Magnus who has never been force pilled will eat his meds (except the bitter one) if I set them beside while preparing the Churu.

If your cat likes them, you're golden for medicines usually.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are a ton of lickable treats to try, if Churu doesn't cut, or if you want to mix it up with others. I use Vitakraft, Tiki Cat Stix, Temptations, Wholehearted, Catit, and Squeeze Ups.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Churus - I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for the tip.
I dip my cats med in churu tube lift her head up,drop it in,then close her mouth and wait for her to swallow. Chutu is online but you can buy tiki sticks at a pet store