Two questions about feral cats.

Mistermime154

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the somewhat feral cats I've been taking care of finally brought her kittens to my yard for food but they get scared whenever they see me. Mom cat will even come lay right next to me and try to call them over but they won't budge and I've been trying to give them space so I don't scare them. What's the best way to warm them up to me faster?

My other issue is the male cat I take care of just became an adult and he really wants to mate with mom cat and she doesn't want any part of it but he chases her and corners her for hours at a time so she's can't watch over her kittens. How can I get him to back off? (Don't have the funds to get him fixed unfortunately)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know where you are located but there are many groups out there that try to help fund spays and neuters. The best way to stop the male and the only way to prevent more births is to spay and neuter. For short term you can try to trap the male and start socializing him until a better solution comes along or, better yet, trap mom and kittens for the same purpose. If you have somewhere you can let them live for awhile, maybe you can find some help. Have you tried to find any rescue groups there? You can do an online search for stray or feral spay and neuter or stray / feral/ community cats and some combination of the wording. If we can help you do a search, we’ll be glad to try.
A catio might keep mom and babies separate too but eventually the babies will be old enough to mate unless you can find them homes that can spay and neuter. Please do try to find help to prevent further breeding since populations can rapidly increase and it will become harder to provide food and resources for them.
As for bringing babies in without trapping, you’ll need to gain trust. It probably won’t be fast. Food is a great tool. Sitting on the ground or laying there while they eat helps them to begin to trust. Get down to their level. It takes time and patience. Using highly scented foods can help. Never give anything with spices or things like onion or garlic. Toys can help to bring them closer too. Being a regular fixture on the ground that never pursues them is important. They will begin to see you as non threatening. Leaving a shirt or something that carries your scent on it should help too. They can get used to seeing you and picking up your scent and as they associate you with good things, like food and fun, they will understand you are not a predator but a friend.

greenpeeps5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have known many ferals and kittens and TNRed them.

The babies ARE going to be scared of you at first. At the age where the mama cat brings them to you, all this time they haven't known a human. They want food at this point, but when you come out to feed them, they'll run away until you leave.

Don't worry about this. Just give it time. If the mom has gotten used to you, they will in time also. I'm able to pet all the ferals I know around my area, and some will come into the house for a minute, and some for a nap, if you let them. Some are more afraid than others.

You do need to get them fixed or they're going to take over the world! I would contact some cat rescue organizations in your area. Just google for them. I had one give me six coupons and I didn't pay a dime to get them fixed. You will have to trap them, and frequently they will help you or loan you a trap.

With trapping, don't feed them, but put the trap out around dinnertime and put a towel on top. I put a fabric or paper potty pad on the bottom because it's hard on their feet to be on the wire. Put something nice and smelly in it, like tuna or I get these cat filets from Amazon. They are cheap and the cats come after them every time. Pet stores have them too. Please don't just leave a trap out. Check it every 20 mins. Some people leave them out all day or all night. They can be trapped in the sun, or at night when other wildlife comes by.

Put the trap with the cat in your house or garage, some place it's safe. Make sure you keep the towel over it as the cat will feel more secure. The vet has you drop them off in the morning and they can't eat or drink since the night before, so don't worry about that.

When you bring them home, you can keep them overnight in the house, if possible, and let them out in the morning. If you can't keep them in, them let them out of the trap, but they'll be kind of drunk and scared and will run off. Don't worry. They'll forgive and forget that you did it to them in a day or two.

As far as the male cat, an unneutered male is going to be after any female in heat. They're going to run from them or act like they're avoiding them, even until they're ready when they're in heat. And they'll do it with their sons or fathers. They don't remember that. But the more inbreeding, the more problems there can be. That will stop when you get the female spayed. or the male neutered.

The more they multiply, the more expensive it will be to feed them. Neighbors can complain or trap them or call the city and then things aren't so great for the cats.

Be sure to leave a large bowl of water outside too. I have raccoons and squirrels and possums, etc. and they all need water. I change it a couple times a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mistermime154

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t know where you are located but there are many groups out there that try to help fund spays and neuters. The best way to stop the male and the only way to prevent more births is to spay and neuter. For short term you can try to trap the male and start socializing him until a better solution comes along or, better yet, trap mom and kittens for the same purpose. If you have somewhere you can let them live for awhile, maybe you can find some help. Have you tried to find any rescue groups there? You can do an online search for stray or feral spay and neuter or stray / feral/ community cats and some combination of the wording. If we can help you do a search, we’ll be glad to try.
A catio might keep mom and babies separate too but eventually the babies will be old enough to mate unless you can find them homes that can spay and neuter. Please do try to find help to prevent further breeding since populations can rapidly increase and it will become harder to provide food and resources for them.
As for bringing babies in without trapping, you’ll need to gain trust. It probably won’t be fast. Food is a great tool. Sitting on the ground or laying there while they eat helps them to begin to trust. Get down to their level. It takes time and patience. Using highly scented foods can help. Never give anything with spices or things like onion or garlic. Toys can help to bring them closer too. Being a regular fixture on the ground that never pursues them is important. They will begin to see you as non threatening. Leaving a shirt or something that carries your scent on it should help too. They can get used to seeing you and picking up your scent and as they associate you with good things, like food and fun, they will understand you are not a predator but a friend.
I have done some searching already and from what I can find the TNR program in my area (Utah) is paused for now.

I found the male in my backyard back when he was younger and ever since he's been following me everywhere I go, He's very friendly! Unfortunately my housemate is very allergic to cats so the best I can do is feed him and spend time with him outside. I have thought of taking him to a no kill shelter but my neighbor who also feeds him was very adamant she didn't want that happening so I feel stuck.

greenpeeps5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If they've been feral for long, if you take them to a shelter, they most likely won't be adopted unless they're friendly to all people. The ferals I have are afraid of everyone but me. No shelter except some of the cat rescues are no kill. They say they are, but if there is over population and if a cat can't be adopted, they don't keep them there forever.

If the TNR is paused for the Humane Society or similar place in your area, there should still be private cat rescue places around and they'll help you trap and pay for the neutering. Ask your neighbor for help with this.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have thought of taking him to a no kill shelter but my neighbor who also feeds him was very adamant she didn't want that happening so I feel stuck.

If your neighbor feels that way, then maybe she'd be willing to help you get him fixed. 🤷
it's worth asking her about it.