Two Queens And One Is Sick.

Zjg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two mama cats right now, Whiner and BEG. Whiner developed mastitis and lost her litter. One kitten was still healthy and the BEG happily adopted it but now I don't know how to get the Whiner to detach. She keeps trying to get in the room with the babies and seems very upset. BEG doesn't mind but I'm concerned about Whiner's mental health plus the risk of her accidentally getting in and feeding the kittens. Is there anything I can do to make this easier on Whiner and help her feel better?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has still the mastitis? or why its important to not let her back into the caretaking?

You could perhaps try with a body sock. Protecting her teats, but making it possible to help caretaking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zjg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She still does have mastitis. Her baby is 5 days old and BEG had her kittens the day before yesterday. I also should have mentioned that Whiner wouldn't stop moving her babies around so I don't want her to cart off BEG's kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As said, you can try with a body sock. Otherwise, its just to isolate her, and find to give her something to do, so she doesnt miss the kitten as much...

Zjg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have BEG isolated but Whiner keeps crying at the door. I did try to let her near the kittens but she keeps trying to carry them off and BEG likes where they are.

Zjg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just don't know what to do for Whiner to keep her busy. That's my question. Everyone else is perfectly fine but she is upset about it and I'm not sure how to make it easier on her. Either than giving her as much affection as I can.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Zjg Zjg

Is Whiner on antibiotics for the mastitis?

If so, for how many days now?

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, Whiner is the queen who lost her babies except for one and BEG is feeding that kitten of hers. In conjunction with continuing her antibiotics, is now a good time to get her spayed? I would imagine that her hormones are controlling most of her behavior. If she were spayed, then she would more than likely leave the feeding to BEG of her surviving baby and not be so inclined to move BEG's kittens around?? At that point, she would be more of a "cooperating co-parent" in BEG's mind. Just a thought.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is on antibiotics it is fine for her to nurse her own kitten. I think she may settle down with the other queen eventually if given a chance. She sounds miserable right now.

Zjg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
No, it isn't alright for her to be nursing with infected mammories and it is dangerous for a queen to nurse on antibiotics anyways as it can harmful (potentially deadly) to the kittens.

Zjg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said that he didn't want to spay her until the infection clears up because the hormone changes can potentially exacerbate the issue with her glands. Again, I'm just looking for ideas to comfort and distract a distressed queen. Please try to keep that in mind when replying so you can answer the question that was asked.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats pass the antibiotics to their kittens through their milk. I asked how long she had been on them. Once the initial inflammation has passed it is safe.

If she is in pain a warm, damp compress applied to her mammaries will soothe her.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
No, it isn't alright for her to be nursing with infected mammories and it is dangerous for a queen to nurse on antibiotics anyways as it can harmful (potentially deadly) to the kittens.
Has the vet told you not to let her nurse her kitten while she's on antibiotics? I've never heard that it's bad for the kittens, but while I've given a lot of antibiotics I don't have experience in the area of giving them to lactating mothers.

Zjg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet told me not to let her nurse. It hasn't been 48 hours since I took her to the vet and the kittens are only a few days old. I already talked to the vet about the medical details I just didn't think to ask him about how to keep her calm since I've separated her from her baby. He said I should let BEG adopt the kitten if she was willing and isolate her and the kitten.

Whiner developed the mastitis because she couldn't get any milk out. I was bottle feeding them as well as I could until BEG ended up having her litter. I've already discussed all of this with a veterinarian but I don't know how to deal with Whiner's mental health. If anyone can help me with that I'd be thankful. Ive been up all night trying to keep her calm and that is what I'm asking for advice on.

Zjg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please. Does anyone know how to help keep her calm and feeling better emotionally. I've already discussed antibiotics and nursing with a professional.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you put the kitten back with her for a little while right after she's nursed from the other mom? That way kitten wouldn't be trying to nurse and mom would have time with her baby.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Zjg Zjg

My answer is to return her kitten to her if the antibiotics have brought the inflammation down. She sounds frantic for her kitten, and her body and her instincts are pushing her to take care of her kitten.

In every mastitis situation I've been involved with, kittens continue to nurse mom while the infection is being treated. Pet MD on the web recommends this as well.

Zjg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry if I seem abrupt but I haven't slept. My question is specifically for the queen's emotional state. I am going to listen to my vet and keep her away from the kitten. I know how to handle her meds and I know how to help ease her discomfort. I am concerned about her emotional state. If anyone has a suggestion about how to care for her mentally, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there anything I can do to make this easier on Whiner and help her feel better?
From what I can gather you have so far been given a few ideas on what to do:

1)allow Whiner back with her kitten once satisfied initial inflammation has passed
2)put a body sock on Whiner and allow her near her kitten again immediately
3)put the kitten back with Whiner for a little while right after she's nursed from the other mom as that way kitten wouldn't be trying to nurse and mom would have time with her baby
4)isolate Whiner.

When you say BEG is isolated, what door does Whiner keep crying at? - is a door that is directly connected to where the kittens are? Would it be of any help to separate them further and then to search this forum for play ideas for Whiner?

To me it seems like the overall consensus from a lot of knowledgeable people is that the best way to help Whiner's mental health is to try find some way that mother can be with babies.

What type of room are the babies in and where does Whiner try carry them to when you have put them together?

Once you let people know clearly what you've tried/haven't tried from their suggestions they might be able to help further.