Two orphaned kittens, maggot issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I took in two orphaned kittens that desperately needed help. They are about 4wks old. We had 3 brought to us, and sadly, one had to be put down. I was told 2 other kittens had already passed away. These two (male and a female) are able to weakly walk, and I am having success getting them to drink KMR, but they had maggots all over them. The one we had to put down was covered in them, Im talking hundreds and hundreds!! They were covering her eyes, etc. These two had them, and some larvae, but not as badly. We have done a few bathes, and from what I can tell, it seems to have killed them all. I can't seem to get the larvae and dead maggots to come off of their fur tho. The vet told me to try a flea comb, but that doesn't pull them off either. Any other suggestions? Oh and these little ones are: male is 8.9oz and female is 9.6oz, such little peanuts [emoji]128150[/emoji] Any help with these little sweeties is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens just pooped, and there was white stuff in it. It looked more like round worms, but could it be maggots? If it is, what do I need to do to save these babies?

bellad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is maggots inside them you need to get them back to the vets ASAP as they will be getting eaten inside, please dont hang around in getting them seen to :( Poor poor little kittens where did they come from to end up in such a state?

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try to get a few pics to post. The maggots that were on them when we got them were definetely alive and crawling across their skin. They just looked like tiny white worms. Those are mostly all gone after the bath, but they have these light tannish looking bugs still crawling on them. I will post a pic of them (assuming maybe baby fleas?). Then their are even smaller white spots, I assumed those were maggot larvae, but not sure? As for the poop, it was white and stringy, more like worms. there were a few small white pieces about the length of the maggot/worm, and then some longer. The other kitten pooped now too and we didn't see anything in its stool, but the stool was very white?

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to answer where they came from. A good friend of mine told me one of their outside cats weren't taking care of its babies anymore. She told me two had died, one was almost gone, and two were somewhat okay. I told her I'd try save them and to bring them over (I am familiar with this type of thing, I rescue for the state of WI for wildlife like squirrels and raccoons). The one had to be put down right away, it was suffering horribly, and the other two are the ones mentioned above.

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I'm doing more research, im not sure they were maggots on the kittens.. I wish I had taken a pic but didn't. They were tons of little white wiggly worms. Not short fat maggot type, more like a tiny round worm. They look a lot like the flea larvae I am seeing pics of...

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have access to a vet?  I presume you have, as you do work with rescuing...  What is the vet advising?

I presume, for example Revolution spot on should help here,  taking most types of outer and invard parasites...

In overall, they look OK, round and well developed. But if these maggots are also inside en masse, its no good...

Even if a minor infections isnt as bad as its sounds, as bacteria doenst infect - maggots are antibacterial...  But a massive infection is directly deathly...

@tdurkee

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I will be taking them to the vet in town tomorrow. When I spoke with them today, I had assumed it was maggots. Now that I've done more research, I'm pretty sure the worms I was seeing were flea larvae. Get can at least let me know for sure :) Kittens are eating a little over 3ml at a feeding. They are weak and tired by the time they get that much in them, but trying to slowly increase that number.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like they have lice.

Not commonly seen in cats/kittens but if mom was not so healthy then she could have lice, so the kids will get it too.

Usually cat lice is found in dibilitated unhealthy/malnourished cats. In rescue I have certainly encountered my share.

Flea infestation with this much larvae will cause weakness and total anemia, which can kill them, fleas and lice can be treated the same way, with a topical such as advantage weekly for 4 weeks or revolution bi-weekly for 3 times.

Or ivermectin from the vet.

They will certainly need several dewormings too with so many worms at this age.

I feel for poor momma out there somewhere :(

As for feeding, a kitten requires 8 mls of kmr per ounce of weight minimum. So they really must get more kmr into them.

You can also get recovery canned from the vet tmrw and mix some kmr in to it for a mush they will eat well.

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for all the help!!! Will the flea meds kill the lice too, or is there a different one I should be using on the lice? I am determined to save these precious babies, so will do anything I can for them! When they are eating such small amounts at each feeding, how often should I be feeding them to ensure they are getting enough? One is almost 9 ounces, and the other us 9.6oz. If I'm doing my math right, they should be getting between 70-80ml of KMR a day, right? Should I be trying to feed them every hour when they will only a little over 3ml at a time?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exactly, which is why if they are 4 weeks or more it's worth it to try to get them eating wet from a dish. 

They need alot more than only 3 mls, they won't make it long on that amt.

Are you using a syringe? Do you have a bottle you can try getting them used to?

How are their gums color, pink at all?

Yes, flea meds takes care of lice too, but must be repeated.

If using advantage 11 then weekly is needed, if revolution then bi-weekly is needed.

I've always used advantage for lice, and this past year had another 2 who ended up at the humane society that I work with, and they were given revolution so they both work well.

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, sounds good! I will keep feeding every hour and trying to slowly up their dose as well. After the 3ml, they get very sleepy and just drool out the milk. As for wet food, what we have from our local pet shop is for cats and kittens. The brand is AvoDerm Natural with vitamins and minerals. Is that one okay to mix with formula to make their mash?

Thanks again for all your help, I truly appreciate it!! I'm very lucky to have a job from home, so that I am able to give these babies the care they need [emoji]128150[/emoji]

newmamaof3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You mentioned white poopbas well...if the fecal matter itself is actually white I would suspect coccidiosis as well which is easily treated with medications from the vet.

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, awesome! I tried the mash tonight but they wouldn't take it. However, they did both drink 7ml tonight instead of 3ml. I was literally in tears seeing them drink a little over twice then earlier today.. These kittens came to me with barely drinking a few drops from a dropper, and just working with them today I got them to 3ml and now 7ml. I know they have a long way to go, but I feel like these were huge strides for these babies in one day [emoji]128150[/emoji][emoji]128150[/emoji]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.