Two New Young Male Cats Aggressive Towards Old Female Cat--help Please!

Hrt101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved back into my parents' house about 5 months ago, and brought along my two 2 year old neutered male brother cats (a bonded pair). The resident cat, a frail 14 year old spayed female, was not pleased. I tried to introduce them gradually in the beginning but there were a couple slips where they had direct contact too soon and one of my boy cats beat up the old lady cat. It was definitely not playful. Fur was shed.

For the past 5 months I've been keeping my male cats in another area of the house, but they don't get as much attention that way so I feel guilty and would love for them to have access to the rest of the house, where the old cat is. I've tried having all the cats in the same room with a gate in between them, but my male cats always try to lunge over to (presumably) beat her up again. Even when the old cat smells them from behind a closed door, she hisses. And my boy cats seem very interested in getting to the other side to see her.

Any possible solutions to this or does the situation seem too far gone?

Edit: all cats have experience living with other cats previously. Old lady cat used to live in this house with two other cats, but they both passed within the past year. My two male cats used to live in a kitten room in the shelter with lots of other cats until they were 10 months old and got along great with them.

Last edited:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor lady cat lost two companions in the past year. That is sad. I had two brothers and one passed about half year before the other. I swear the second died of a broken heart. It is so sad they are social like we people and can miss a loved one. I feel so bad for her.

Have you tried separating the two boys and introduce one at a time with them caged. Maybe new big sister cat could show them she means no harm and just wants to check them out. Preferably start with the boy that didn't get into it. Maybe you get them together and the other boy doesn't see a threat. Of course there will be hissing so just short visit at first. And you would need a mid size dog cage and not a cat carrier. Can't see much through a cat carrier and your boy might feel too cornered.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add. First time I brought Kitty and.Rusty home they were in a mid sized dog cage. My cat Taz took a couple swipes and gave up fast. Smacking those metal bars seems to hurt the paws with a really good sting I bet.

I sat them down in the entrance coming inside and Taz went straight at them.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Older females are notorious for ruling the roost with an iron paw. 9 out of 10 females I have had will not tolerate an obnoxious younger male too near without hissing and growling. This is perfectly normal. That does not mean they can't coexist, it means the males will learn eventually to leave her alone and she will be entertained by their antics, though not joining in. I have a tiny female now that yowls, hisses, and tussles with the boys like a major cat fight, and she is their mother! They will become friends, but not CLOSE friends. She needs to see them frequently to get used to them, but also needs a place to observe them that she can defend from their intrusions, like higher up on a table or shelf, my Chrissy spent months in a bed on top the fridge. Say NO and remove them from the room if they get in her face, let them know it is not acceptable for them to harass her. A swipe from her is cat nature, fur flying may happen, but bites and blood drawn is a much more serious behavioral problem. Mine SOUND like they are really going at it, but no blood is drawn and it is all her trying to get them to leave her alone and get a little respect. Get a kickeroo from Amazon cat toys, it is great as a distraction if they seem intent on getting to her. I releases a lot of pent up frustration if thrown into their paths. Time is what you need, mine did not get along for almost a year, so don't give up. They just need supervision and guidance from you. I wouldn't leave them alone right now, but they also need frequent interactions to get over this intent curiosity, and to form a bond, IT WILL HAPPEN, cats hate change and this is a major one for her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved back into my parents' house about 5 months ago, and brought along my two 2 year old neutered male brother cats (a bonded pair). The resident cat, a frail 14 year old spayed female, was not pleased. I tried to introduce them gradually in the beginning but there were a couple slips where they had direct contact too soon and one of my boy cats beat up the old lady cat. It was definitely not playful. Fur was shed.

For the past 5 months I've been keeping my male cats in another area of the house, but they don't get as much attention that way so I feel guilty and would love for them to have access to the rest of the house, where the old cat is. I've tried having all the cats in the same room with a gate in between them, but my male cats always try to lunge over to (presumably) beat her up again. Even when the old cat smells them from behind a closed door, she hisses. And my boy cats seem very interested in getting to the other side to see her.

Any possible solutions to this or does the situation seem too far gone?

Edit: all cats have experience living with other cats previously. Old lady cat used to live in this house with two other cats, but they both passed within the past year. My two male cats used to live in a kitten room in the shelter with lots of other cats until they were 10 months old and got along great with them.
di and bob di and bob posting before me have excellent suggestions, to which I would add that you might want to look at cat behaviorist extraordinaire Jackson Galaxy's YouTube videos and/or his excellent series, MY CAT FROM HELL on Animal Planet TV channel and/or cat behaviorist Pam Johnson-Bennett's books including CAT vs. CAT. One thing to remember is that your elder queen needs reassurance, extra love, and comfort.

CleoCATra55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Older females are notorious for ruling the roost with an iron paw. 9 out of 10 females I have had will not tolerate an obnoxious younger male too near without hissing and growling. This is perfectly normal. That does not mean they can't coexist, it means the males will learn eventually to leave her alone and she will be entertained by their antics, though not joining in. I have a tiny female now that yowls, hisses, and tussles with the boys like a major cat fight, and she is their mother! They will become friends, but not CLOSE friends. She needs to see them frequently to get used to them, but also needs a place to observe them that she can defend from their intrusions, like higher up on a table or shelf, my Chrissy spent months in a bed on top the fridge. Say NO and remove them from the room if they get in her face, let them know it is not acceptable for them to harass her. A swipe from her is cat nature, fur flying may happen, but bites and blood drawn is a much more serious behavioral problem. Mine SOUND like they are really going at it, but no blood is drawn and it is all her trying to get them to leave her alone and get a little respect. Get a kickeroo from Amazon cat toys, it is great as a distraction if they seem intent on getting to her. I releases a lot of pent up frustration if thrown into their paths. Time is what you need, mine did not get along for almost a year, so don't give up. They just need supervision and guidance from you. I wouldn't leave them alone right now, but they also need frequent interactions to get over this intent curiosity, and to form a bond, IT WILL HAPPEN, cats hate change and this is a major one for her.
% agree with everything you said. I brought my male kitten, Punk home to my 14 yr old female, Bebe...it didn't go so great. Kept them separated. Then slowly let them eat food closer & closer to eat other with a barrier always between them. Then finally removed the barrier...and yes there was hissing...but they continued to eat. I learned that from the show "My Cat From Hell." Lol anyways, Bebe never stopped hissing & Punk never stopped trying to play with her but eventually she started beating his butt & it kind of became a motherly way of her teaching him how to fight. At least that's how I try to pleasantly put it haha! She was probably just beating him up. They will EVENTUALLY get use to each other being in the same room & be cordial. Just introduce them slowly & maybe not with both boys together at the same time. Just one by one. That's just my opinion though. All cats are different but I'll tell you what, if my spoiled little prissy princess Bebe could get use to my lil lunk head Punk, well then I have hope for ANY combo of cats.

Good luck!!!!