Two new kittens

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On Friday we picked up a 12 week old kitten from a breeder. Lovely temperament, he purrs if you simply look at him and he’s already bonded with us. On Saturday we added an 8 week old kitten. Our 12 week old took to him immediately and wants to play. The 8 week old growls with any advancement of our 12 week old, will growl and hiss at him. Pretty much any time the 12 week old goes near him he will growl and hiss. They both lived with litter mates so are used to being around other kittens.
If we separate them, they cry and cry and cry until we put them back in the same room. The 12 week old really wants to play but the 8 week old wants pretty much nothing to do with him. Once in a while the 8 week old will run and pounce in a playful way on the 12 week old, but if the 12 week old reacts in any way the 8 week old growls and runs off.
The 8 week old is also not very affectionate with us so far. Barely ever purrs, runs away from us. If we pick him up he doesn’t growl or hiss but also doesn’t purr or really seem to enjoy being pet.

Do you think this just requires time?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I think so, it sounds as though the 8 week old is insecure yet. Hopefully with time, love, patience and all the good things the tiny one's personality will come shining through and you'll have two little rambunctious babies :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the background on the 8 week old? Coming from a breeder, the 12 week old has been in a loving, enriched environment and allowed the optimum time with his kitty family (12 weeks) so he knows the world to be a friendly place. The younger one, if he's a rescue, probably had a rougher beginning and has lost out on a good full month socializing with mom and siblings. The little guy needs lots of comfort grooming and cuddles and play. It may help pique his interest in his older brother if you play with the older kitten using a teaser toy in front of the younger - kittens learn by observation and he may realize that the older one and the people are entertaining and fun.
I also would encourage the little one to use a perch to make those observations. I discourage observations from a hiding place such as under furniture. I tell kittens who try hiding that I am going to help them channel their "inner mountain lion"