Two New Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Big Tony and Little Rascal left the building last week, and I brought home two new kittens; Batman and Robin.
They were given to me not because they need bottlefed but because Robin is having a hard time putting weight on.
They have both been getting 4 mLs of fluid twice a day, fed wet kitten food every three hours, and always have kitten kibble available.
They have problematic poo, it's a pinkish color and extremely watery. I've to give them baths nearly everyday, which is no fun for myself or them, and I've found puke.
They've already been dewormed so I am blaming another gastrointestinal parasite. I'll see if we can't get some probiotics for them, my friend at the shelter is sending us home with baby rice cereal and baby food. She thinks it will help but I don't think it has to do with their diet.
Panacur? Metronidazole? What should we try next?

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I should have waited to make an update, because it turns out I have another problematic kitten!
She's approximately 4-5 weeks old (the boys are 6-7) and is partially blind. We're not sure if she's entirely blind or not, but it's only been four hours and I've watched her run into walls on more than two occasions, but she does really get along well for a "blind" cat.
IMG_20180521_201513.jpg
I can take a better picture later, but for now here is this!
She's a weird eater, in that she attacks all food I present her. So for now we're experimenting.
It really does look like she has an eye on the left side, but it's sunken and hidden under her other eyelid. You can see her eye seems misshapen. I think she can see just fine out of the other one.
I'll take pictures of the boys when they're their most handsome selves. Right now they aren't feeling all that well.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
I also got to visit Big and Little today, they are so big I can't believe it. And they remembered me like they saw me yesterday. They break my heart, the cuties. Tomorrow, they get spayed and neutered!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you get meds for the diarrhea?

A vet should check the black kitten’s eyes.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, they're on antibiotics too.

She's seen the shelter vet. Sydney is a beautiful grey swirled tabby, I'm not sure what you'd call that but her markings are incredible and she is so beautiful and sweet. I think she's gotten the hang of eating now.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course Sydney would get an infection in her GOOD eye. I knew this would happen. Just didn't think so soon!

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Not at the moment! But we'll be picking up some neomycin in the morning.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been a frustrating time with these kittens.
They're on albon now and have been for four days. There is still no improvement but I'm hoping after the full dose there will be.
Robin is anemic, Batman had a fractured rear leg, and Sydney is now leaking through the back door constantly and aggressively. I've not had much luck with trying to give her fluids, since she's losing a lot, she keeps writhing under the needle and it's not safe, so she's been getting little bits at a time. I've had to keep her cooped up and it's not easy.
I'm not sure what more I can do.
There's another problem, if Batman and Robin and Sydney all had something awful going on in their bellies, then their siblings at the shelter all have this issue too, and as far as I know they're only being treated by penicillin.
To clarify and to remind, I have Batman and Robin because Robin was having a lot of trouble gaining weight. I have Sydney because she's partially blind and was a milk baby when I got her. So I don't have both of their litters or any control over their medication.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
With my incredible sewing skills(or there lackof), I created a tiny kitten diaper with elastics and panty liners so I can change it several times a day. So far, so good. If this keeps up, she won't have to stay cooped up!