Two New Kittens

nevi101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I've had a kitten before but have never had two cats at once so have never had to introduce two cats. However, me and my mom decided it was time to get a kitten and then decided we should get two. They're from different litters as we fell in love with the both of them. One is about 9 weeks, one is about 8 weeks. We got the 9 week old yesterday and it's a male, the 8 week one todag and its harder to tell the gender but we think male. Anyways, to get to the point - introducing them. I had planned to leave the one we got today in the crate for a bit in the same room with the other kitten but my mom decided to come in and let it out. I've left them out since as it hasn't been too bad. They've been hissing when they get too close to each other and now the for sure male is hyper and there's been some swatting. I know it's not encouraged to just introduce them abruptly but I figured that since they're not attacking each other its fine? But my question - will this pass after a couple days? Will they learn to tolerate each other?

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually at such early ages they learn quickly and adjust. Just give them time and always supervise.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I introduced my kittens to each other fairly quickly, about 24 hours. When they're this young their hormones aren't raging so there's not much territorial stuff going on. What I did was praise the older kitten (the one that showed some aggression) with a treat every time he behaved in an appropriate way around the young one, including ignoring the little one's presence, he quickly learned to associate the other kitten with rewards. I didn't leave them together unsupervised for about 2 weeks I think. We've had them both for about 6 weeks now and they're the best of friends.