Two New Kittens! Lots of questions! Help!!

ronica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two kittens from the pound two days ago. One boy - 11 weeks, and one girl - 12 weeks. They are so sweet, and we are very happy we decided to adopt two, they make a great pair. They both took right to using a litter box, and they seem to be adjusting to their new home exceptionally well. The boy kitten is much less active than the girl, don't get me wrong, he will get up and play, and run around, but, he certainly likes to nap more than the girl kitten. Is this just a difference between the sexes, or the different breeds, or even age? Or do I need to take him to the vet to make sure he isn't ill? (Not showing any signs of illness though, clear eyes, nose, ears - no coughing, or sneezing, and does have a very healthy appetite.) I'm a new kitten mom, and just don't think I can be too careful! -- Also, I've been reading mixed opinions online about litter boxes. Some say they should each have their own, and others say one for multiple cats is okay. They are sharing one now, and they don't seem to have any problem with it. Should I just let them continue to share? I just want to make sure I'm taking care of them properly. Any answers or other advice??

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they are pound kitties you should take them to a vet to be checked out completely. About the sleeping habits, when this home has kittens no one sleeps not kittens nor humans.

The litter pan you should have one pan per cat plus one pan. That is just the general rule and allows for a less stressful household but it does increase the amount of time you scoop your boxes.

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our Cindy and Lucy have shared a large-sized litter box since we brought them home from the shelter one year and one month ago. I also have an extra medium-sized litter box in the hallway for them to use when the laundry room is inaccessible. Punky has her own medium-sized litter box in the basement, but she will use the extra litter box when she has no other choice. I've had no problems with this arrangement. Sometimes Punky is a bit aggressive with her litter box, but she was surviving alone in the woods and didn't use one until she was 8 or 9 months old.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with getting them a check-up by the vet. You'll almost always find that one kitten is slightly less active that the other but if he's quite lethargic, he may be ill and again, need a vet visit. Also, make sure they are up-to-date with their vaccinations and flea and worming treatments.

allissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ronica

I adopted two kittens from the pound two days ago. One boy - 11 weeks, and one girl - 12 weeks. They are so sweet, and we are very happy we decided to adopt two, they make a great pair. They both took right to using a litter box, and they seem to be adjusting to their new home exceptionally well. The boy kitten is much less active than the girl, don't get me wrong, he will get up and play, and run around, but, he certainly likes to nap more than the girl kitten. Is this just a difference between the sexes, or the different breeds, or even age? Or do I need to take him to the vet to make sure he isn't ill? (Not showing any signs of illness though, clear eyes, nose, ears - no coughing, or sneezing, and does have a very healthy appetite.) I'm a new kitten mom, and just don't think I can be too careful! -- Also, I've been reading mixed opinions online about litter boxes. Some say they should each have their own, and others say one for multiple cats is okay. They are sharing one now, and they don't seem to have any problem with it. Should I just let them continue to share? I just want to make sure I'm taking care of them properly. Any answers or other advice??
Sleeping is probably normal. My male kitten will sometimes sleep most of the day. But then of course he will run around like crazy at night.
But you still need to take your new kittens to the vet, because they will need their vaccines, and the vet will also check them for parasites, ear mites, etc.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my cats were kittens...I had 1 litterbox that they shared...but when they got 'older'...I added 2 more just to give them each their own litterbox plus 1 extra.

Katie