Two Male Cats At Home - Need Your Help

Zlatin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I am posting for the first time in this site and I really hope you will be able to give me some advice on how to proceed.
My gf and I are taking care of a male cat for nearly 7 years. For the last 3 years he lives at my place. He is really unusual cat- antisocial, do not like to be cuddled and approached. He has several contacts with other cats because we left him at a cat hotel when we were abroad a couple of times. Every time he goes through that very hard because as I said he is quite a peculiar cat.
Last Thu I found a baby male cat (about 2-3 months) in front of our block - he was very thin and underfed, had an eye inflammation and I took him home. He spent 2 days at a vet cabinet but since yesterday I took him back with the idea to find him a permanent home. However, until then, he should live with the older cat.
The thing is that their relationship did not start well - the baby cat obviously have no problem or any kind of fear from the old one- eating from his bowl, trying to use his toilet all the time. Our old cat, though, is totally shocked. He is not eating, not drinking water and not using the litter box for an entire day. When they met, the baby started chasing the old one and he is running like hell, although he is about 5-6 times bigger. As we both work, we will have to keep them separated during the day,which is also a problem, because the old cat used to have the entire apartment on his own.
Please give us an advice if there is anything we can do to predispose our old cat Mahmut so he at least try to become friend with the baby. Because this situation with the baby living all day long at one room and the depressed Mahmut on the other side could not last for long.
Thank you in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zlatin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Unfortunately, we have missed the first steps because cats already met a couple of times. Does it mean we should start from the beginning now or just keep them separated and eventually meet them again in a couple of days.
What I have done until now is to give the old cat some blankets and toys that the baby has already played with so he can get used to the new smell. Our problem is definitely with the senior cat, the new one is playful and friendly, he just wants to play but the old one seems to be scared of him which is strange.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if you didn't follow the introduction steps to start with, you can always start again and re-introduce them :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put up some type of gate on a door so they can see each other through it and get used to each other?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zlatin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I have solid doors only. Tomorrow they will be on their own all day long for a first time and I plan to leave the baby cat at the room that the old one used to stay in during the day but to leave kitchen (where is his food), bathroom (toilet) for the old one. Because I found out that the old cat is not eating when I moved his food place to another room....