Two lumps at injection sites. Please help. Feeling so distraught.

xenaprincess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for reading this and helping me! I had taken my cat to get her rabies vaccination on April 14, 2015 and then another vaccination for FEliv on May 7, 2015. My vet had injected in the same area on her upper back.

On May 28, I suddenly noticed two lumps in that same area of injection. One lump is about the size of a pea. The other lump is very thin and is about the size of a grain of rice. What do you think these two lumps are? I'm just praying that they,re just granulomas from the two injections and nothing serious.

I have really no idea when they formed as I just noticed them yesterday. Is it normal for them to still be there from the time of the injection? How long does it usually take to go away?

Also, I've been using a warm compress and massaging them. Does this help?

Thank you so much. I feel so scared and confused.

Thank you again.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they painful to the cat? If not, I doubt any heat will help but your kitty might not mind the messaging. I am surprised the injections weren't given in the back leg or in the tail. Usually they are now, as its better if they ever did go badly, such as get a tumor, very rare but still enough to warrent it being gave in the leg or tail. Hopefully its just a little scar tissue. Its good to have them checked early.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's best to bring her into the vet and have them check it. Years ago my cat had a similar pea-sized lump after an injection. The vet thought it would go away and had me watch it, and it did. :)

Good luck!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is the injection site? As the earlier poster noted, modern vets usually give vaccinations in the tail, due to sarcoma risks. Seems too soon for anything that drastic, but I'm sure a vet visit is called for anyway.

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Are they painful to the cat? If not, I doubt any heat will help but your kitty might not mind the messaging. I am surprised the injections weren't given in the back leg or in the tail. Usually they are now, as its better if they ever did go badly, such as get a tumor, very rare but still enough to warrent it being gave in the leg or tail. Hopefully its just a little scar tissue. Its good to have them checked early.
I'm wondering about this, too.  This is just me, I would wonder how up-to-date my vet's info was if they were still giving vax on the torso.  The tail is the ideal location for vaccinations.  

Echoing everyone else, definitely get the lumps checked out.  It probably isn't serious, but better safe than sorry.

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That happened to my cat when she got a shot from the vet. It wasn't a vaccination shot. It did go away but took months. You need to call the vet as have them look it. I would mention it was he got the shot.