Two Litters Of Kittens, One Mom

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
12 days ago, my cat gave birth to her first and last litter of 4 kittens. She is an indoor cat who escaped and got pregnant. We will be getting her spayed when these kittens are weaned. Anyway, everything seemed to be going well with her kittens. I do not have a scale but plan to buy one when I get paid on Wednesday.

Well, a couple days after her birth, we had a friend inform us that someone dropped off a litter of newborn kittens on her doorstep. We decided that since they were the same age (maybe a day or two older) we would see if our mama cat would nurse them. She is doing her best to care for all eight of them despite only having six nipples. We were giving her two cans of wet food throughout her pregnancy, sometimes even three. Right now she is eating adult hard food plus kitten hard food. I heard kitten food has more calories so I've been free feeding her both just in case. Fresh water at all times. I change out the kittens towels every couple days. I've notice fleas so I've been flea combing them once a day.

I'm getting concerned. 3/4 of the new litter has a round bald patch on the underside of their neck. They're fighting each other to get fed. But I noticed the sores before I noticed the fighting so I don't think it's related. None of the originals have it. Maybe it's to do with the fleas?

I can't afford to take all of them to the vet. I'm not sure what to do. When I get paid I plan to get kitten formula and give them all a little extra on top of what they're already getting from the mama.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, your mama kitty needs 2-3 cans of wet food daily while nursing this many kittens. She also needs extra calcium, so once you get the powdered kitten formula, give mom some to drink daily in a dish. If you’ve no money for wet food right now, can your friend who gave you the other litter spring for some cans? Mama kitty can also have cheese and yogurt, or even a scrambled egg.

Can you get a can of evaporated milk? If so, mix it with an egg yolk, and a sprinkle of sugar or honey and begin supplementing the kittens who need it most using a dropper or needleless syringe. Kittens are wrapped in a towel, held upright or on tummy, and milk is given by drops in the side of the mouth.

Here is a helpful video about feeding tiny kittens:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

This will do until you get kitten formula.

Also, rotate the kittens with 4 on and 4 off every couple of hours so everyone gets a fair chance to nurse. Put the “off” kittens in a cozy bed nearby. Let all of them stay with mom overnight.

When did you notice the problem on the necks? It’s tough to say what it is from the photo. You may need to take those 3 kittens to the vet. The vet should only charge you for one visit. In the meantime, apply coconut oil to the spots. Also apply coconut oil to mom’s nipples as they will be getting chapped and sore from so much nursing.

Thank you for helping this extra litter! :)

K kibanamama

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_20190810_134617554.jpg

Okay, your mama kitty needs 2-3 cans of wet food daily while nursing this many kittens. She also needs extra calcium, so once you get the powdered kitten formula, give mom some to drink daily in a dish. If you’ve no money for wet food right now, can your friend who gave you the other litter spring for some cans? Mama kitty can also have cheese and yogurt, or even a scrambled egg.

Can you get a can of evaporated milk? If so, mix it with an egg yolk, and a sprinkle of sugar or honey and begin supplementing the kittens who need it most using a dropper or needleless syringe. Kittens are wrapped in a towel, held upright or on tummy, and milk is given by drops in the side of the mouth.

Also, rotate the kittens with 4 on and 4 off every couple of hours so everyone gets a fair chance to nurse. Put the “off” kittens in a cozy bed nearby. Let all of them stay with mom overnight.

When did you notice the problem on the necks? It’s tough to say what it is from the photo. You may need to take those 3 kittens to the vet. The vet should only charge you for one visit. In the meantime, apply coconut oil to the spots. Also apply coconut oil to mom’s nipples as they will be getting chapped and sore from so much nursing.

K kibanamama
Omg thank you! I will do those things! Thank you much for the advice it helps a lot. They have some cheap wet food here so hopefully that will help until I can get get the better kind.

I tried to do the rotation thing last night and again this morning but both times mama interrupted feeding because she was concerned about the other kittens that I removed. I kept them all in a box right beside her too. I tried for a while to get her to stay with half of them but she wasn't having it.

Is it a good sign that none of them are crying to be fed? The only time they cry is when I separate them or two of them are fighting over a nipple. The mom is with them like 90% of the time. She comes out periodically to eat and drink and day hi to us but it's never for very long, she just goes back to the kittens. I'm hoping they're all getting fed enough to last until I get the formula? Does it sound like things are going okay until then?

Mom shows no sign of pain or illness. I haven't even seen a flea on her yet. Just on the kittens. I'm sure her nipples are sore though sometimes I her cry a little when she's nursing. What else is safe until I get coconut oil? Is petroleum jelly safe? Not only am I in limited funds, but a couple weeks ago my bf got into a car accident so it's hard for me to get the store.

This wasn't a good time for all these kittens. I'm freaking out a little bit lol I'd be devastated if something happened because I couldn't afford everything they needed

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

K kibanamama
Also this might be a dumb question but I read egg whites aren't good for cats so do you have to separate the yolk? Or do you crack the egg and just stir it in?

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I noticed the sore on the necks after my bf already mixed them in the litter. I was at work so I told him to just wipe them off with a damp warm towel and pet the originals and the mama and trade scents so they smell the same. I didn't mess with them a lot for a couple days after that because I didn't want to stress mama out.

I didn't notice it until I went to go check on them and saw a bunch of tiny black worms crawling all around them. Not on any of the cats but on the floor surrounding them. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Anyway I quickly took them all out of the room the were in and rinsed them off with warm water just in case any of those worm things were on them. I never seen anything like it! I looked online and I think it must have been flea larvae? Idk. But I noticed the sores when I was drying them off. I asked my bf what he thought it could be and he said "maybe they were attacked". I left it at that but the sores are still there days later. I'll try to get a better picture.

We brought them into our room now and bombed the room they were in and I'm flea combing them everyday. Is there anything else I should be doing about the flea problem? I can't use medication on any of them can I? I treated the mom before she gave birth and hadn't seen any on her for a while. But they're back!

I'm sorry I made this so long thank you so much this is my first time owning a pregnant cat let alone a second litter. We just couldn't turn them down

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They sure are cute! :heartshape:

Cooked egg white is fine, as in a scrambled egg.

I really think a vet needs to see those sores. That does not look like it’s from fleas. Do you have neosporin for the sores? Are the sores healing, getting worse, or staying the same?

For mom’s nipples, do you have olive oil or vegetable oil? Either of these would work. It needs to be non-toxic for the kittens and not as thick as petroleum jelly.

Can you hold two kittens in your lap next to mom for 10-15 minutes? Then take 2 others out and put the first two back in for 10-15 minutes.

Your cat sounds like a very good mama! Are the kitten’s eyes open yet?

It sounds like you are doing the best you can right now on limited resources.

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They sure are cute! :heartshape:

Cooked egg white is fine, as in a scrambled egg.

I really think a vet needs to see those sores. That does not look like it’s from fleas. Do you have neosporin for the sores? Are the sores healing, getting worse, or staying the same?

For mom’s nipples, do you have olive oil or vegetable oil? Either of these would work. It needs to be non-toxic for the kittens and not as thick as petroleum jelly.

Can you hold two kittens in your lap next to mom for 10-15 minutes? Then take 2 others out and put the first two back in for 10-15 minutes.

Your cat sounds like a very good mama! Are the kitten’s eyes open yet?

It sounds like you are doing the best you can right now on limited resources.
I'll try holding them on my lap this time after I'm done replying. Hopefully that will work. And yes all the kittens eyes are opened. I do have some vegetable oil, I'll do that too.

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I do have some Neosporin. I'll put some of that on the sores. They haven't gotten bigger. Stayed the same maybe even a little bit smaller. I'll call a vet in the morning and see if I can work out something

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: kittens seem to be doing well! Of course, a couple of them are much bigger than the rest but I'm hoping the others will catch up. The sores have gotten a lot smaller and on one of them it has completely disappeared. The darker litter has decided to eat kitten kibble and water on their own!!! I was so surprised. The oranges ones weren't too interested in it yet but I'm going to let them keep trying every day. And something new I found out, mama cat has 8 nipples not 6 like I originally thought.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s all wonderful news! :)

Do you also offer the kittens wet cat food?

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s all wonderful news! :)

Do you also offer the kittens wet cat food?
We actually just ran out of wet food today so tomorrow I will be getting some. It was too late to go to the store when I realized they were trying to eat mamas food. But I dampened the kibble with water so it's easier on their teeth

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to stock up as the kittens grow. You’ll be amazed at how much they will eat as they grow so fast. I went through cases and cases! :)

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You’ll need to stock up as the kittens grow. You’ll be amazed at how much they will eat as they grow so fast. I went through cases and cases! :)
Should I give each one a can? Or should I divide half and half? There's eight kittens!!!

kibanamama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also how many times a day should I feed them while they're still drinking mom's milk