Two Kittens

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Siamese cat, Sasha, gave birth to six kittens on the 15th of May. She has thus far been a very attentive and loving mama cat; all the kittens have been gaining weight consistently and have been lively.

This morning I knit them a little baby blanket and tucked it in with them; they were all there. An hour later, Sasha came down to eat and go to the bathroom and I went back up to check on them. Two were missing.

I freaked out, immediately imagining every horrible scenario where they fell out of the cat bed and smothered or dragged their limp little selves somewhere cold. I heard no whining or screaming, and when Sasha came up she was initially unworried. My sister and I tearing the place apart definitely changed that, unfortunately. But we didnt find the kitten. She can't have brought them downstairs; they scream when she picks them up by the scruff and we'd have heard that if she tried to move them to the first floor and the basement. But we checked my room and my sister's room as thoroughly as we could and found nothing.

Shortly after we gave up and set things up as close to how it was as we could, I watched Sasha pick up one of the remaining kittens by the scruff, walk her around the room briefly, then plop her on the floor outside the nest and just... go back to the other three. I put the kitten back in there and left the room to the hallway, listening for kitten wails in case she goes to move them again, which seems likely given how we kinda fumbled this.

Should we be worried? What can we do? Our house isn't hoarder level but we're a family of five in a cramped, century old house that we've lived in for over twenty years so we've got plenty of clutter on top of the nooks and crannies. I'm worried that the kittens might be getting hungry or cold, but she can't have taken them far... any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CRISIS AVERTED; THEY WERE UNDER MY SISTER'S BED. Its possible we are checking on them too frequently and she wants us to Chill Out and Leave Her Alone, so we will do that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, thank goodness! To avoid this happening again, close mom up with her kittens in her preferred room, along with food, water, and litter for now. Also be aware that kittens can get lost or stuck in places and die if they have the run of the house. I would continue to limit their space once they are out exploring. Do you plan to spay mom after this litter weans?

Last edited:

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, thank goodness! To avoid this happening again, close mom up with her kittens in her preferred room, along with food, water, and litter for now. Also be aware that kittens can get lost or stuck in places and die if they have the run of the house. I would continue to limit their space once they are out exploring. Do you olan to spay mom after this litter weans?
Yeah, the plan is to spay; we just wanted a litter so that we could keep a kitten or two and maybe find good homes for any others with family. We've had a male Siamese for about ten years and he's the best cat we've ever had so we were like 'there is a way to get homegrown Siamese kittens.' But we also love Sasha and she seemed super miserable when she was in heat and didn't have a hubby.

We'd been planning on keeping her in a little Harry Potter style closet under the stairs that has everything, but since she picked my sister's closet we didnt want to move them. Now that they're a bit older (they're little eyes are opening and everything) maybe we should do that. Any tips on how to do so safely and without causing additional stress to the mama?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, at this age they are likely not wandering off by themselves so I would imagine mom is placing them in different areas, (cats do that-why- I don't know). The only danger that I see here is that you and your family need to be very careful when you enter her room because a kitten could be right there in front of the door. Kittens die from being stepped on all the time- so please be careful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just close the door to the preferred room. You’ll need to let mama out of the room a couple times a day for a break and to socialize with humans. Once the kittens are exploring they’ll want to climb on a bed and will need toy mice and balls to play with.

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kittens are officially 3 and a half weeks old and cute as can be! They're grooming, playing, climbing... its great!

Last week we moved them to a larger enclosure that was, admittedly, in the living room. We were aware that this wasnt ideal, but it was always intended to be temporary until we got something more long term. Sasha didn't seem to mind and the kittens have plenty of room to move around.

Come down this morning, however, and one of them is gone. I dont panic this time, just do a quick check in the immediate area to make sure she didnt get out of the enclosure, settled in and watched Sasha. Sasha was yowling and circling the enclosure; she kept that up for a few minutes before grabbing one of the kittens and carrying it to a pretty dangerous little space, a little wedge of floor between a window and an open drop down the basement stairs. The other kitten was there too so obviously I grabbed them both and got them back to the enclosure.

Sasha has continued to circle and yell, but has overall calmed down and hasn't attempted to take a kitten again. The boy cat had been sniffing around so I banished him to my brothers room, which might have been the cause of Sasha's anxiety. She could also be caterwauling; it seems around that time.

In general, what can we do to at least ensure she doesnt take the kittens somewhere that they might fall and get hurt?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where were they before? If she never attempted to move them from there, you may want to think about moving them back so she feels safer. Otherwise, short of fully enclosing them in a cage or something, you're not going to be able to stop her from moving them if she really wants to.

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where were they before? If she never attempted to move them from there, you may want to think about moving them back so she feels safer. Otherwise, short of fully enclosing them in a cage or something, you're not going to be able to stop her from moving them if she really wants to.
They were in my sister's room. She'd been moving them then as well, but also into dangerous places. Since they're starting to move around, we're trying to get them somewhere where they can't get into any wires or something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The best place for them at this age is a bedroom with a door you can close. Kittens this age do not need anymore room than that. Let mom out a couple times a day for breaks.