Two kittens intro to resident kitty

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So many of you have been through this, I just need a little advice. 

I have two rescue kittens that have been here since Dec. 16.  We dealt with fleas, worms, other stuff, now all is well and I've been slowing trying to introduce them to my 11 month old Charli (female)    Both kittens are female and their birthdate is estimated at 10/20 putting them at approx. 12 weeks old now.  They have their own room, and they were all playing under door since about a week and a half after I got them, as I had to wait until their first vet visit before I would let them near each other.  Since then, I can now open door and Charli goes in for brief visits. 

All goes well and has since first visit, no growling, no hissing, Charli does a lot of "trilling" as does one of the kittens, Maggie.  Occasionally Charli will bop someone on the head, but it is not accompanied by any noises, or hissing or raised fur.  The first time she did it was because Maggie (the other kitten is Rosie) kept chasing her tail and she did it to make Maggie stop, and it worked, no more chasing of Charli's tail.   They bump noses, and seemingly try to awkwardly play.  Charli is so much bigger. 

Today Charli was in their play tunnel with Maggie on the outside and they were playing with each other.  Then Charli came out and attempted to chase Maggie a bit and swatted at her.  I got nervous and tried not to intervene.  Kitten ran, safe distance, and sat down.  Charli sniffed her head to tail, and went about walking around the room again.  This little chase scene played out a few more times, with both kittens at some point being chased a bit by Charli.  Charli would chase and swat, but I have trouble knowing if this is normal play, or if I should be concerned. 

I clapped my hands loudly at one point, as I got nervous, and everyone immediately stopped in tracks and just looked at me.   I just need to ask, is this chasing, slapping thing normal?  Should I let it go?  I see the kittens do it with each other, but I get scared with my Charli, as she's just so much bigger.  She has never hissed, nor growled, nor has she approached them with ears back or anything like that.   But I still get nervous and am not sure what is just normal behavior establishing herself as the boss here or just regular play or what.  She herself is pretty much still a kitten, she will be 11 months old on the 14th of this month. 

Thanks for any input you can provide...nervous kitty mom here.  :)  I just want everyone to get along.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It could easily be that Charli is doing what the kittens are doing to each other and, even if there is some dominance issue, she's not hurting them. With no biting, no claws out and no hissing, I'd really not be worried. It's good that you're doing brief visits.. slowly is a really good way to go with these introductions.. but as you say, Charli is still a bit of a kitten herself.

My two can make the place sound like WW11 at times, but they're simply playing or letting each other know they think they're the boss.