Two Females And New Male Cat

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I have two female cats who were feral and I adopted them a few months ago.
They were at different foster homes before and lived with other cats. They have settled very well in my home and are wonderful. They are both neutered.
New cat is a stray who is very tame and very friendly. He never hisses and attacks and he is a male. He has only 1 eye since he lived in streets and lost one of his eyes there. But he is super active and just runs around. He is also very vocal and makes lots of begging and climbing when I want to feed him. He is unfortunately tested FIV +. I tried to introduce them slowly so I left the new cat in kitchen for two weeks and tonight I am trying for the second time to introduce them, however it does not go well.
So the new cat is so hyper and always runs after the girls and they do not like it and start to growl and hiss badly and even beat him with their paws. And now even when he is so close they start to growl. Is this normal ?
They are all a bot more than 1 year old.
I was thinking probably after two weeks they got used to each others smell and get along.
I am so worried they never get along and always fight. I really do not want to give away the new cat. What do you think I can do to make my cats accept him?

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try putting your new male (pls make sure he get neutered if he isn’t already) in a separate room.. set him up in there with everything he needs. Once he’s adjusted to his little room (I would say him about a week) you can open the door a crack and let the cats smell each other. Try feeding all the cats on opposite side of the door. Hope this helped!

Here’s a page that gives good tips for introducing a new cat: Introducing a New Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I
You can try putting your new male (pls make sure he get neutered if he isn’t already) in a separate room.. set him up in there with everything he needs. Once he’s adjusted to his little room (I would say him about a week) you can open the door a crack and let the cats smell each other. Try feeding all the cats on opposite side of the door. Hope this helped!

Here’s a page that gives good tips for introducing a new cat: Introducing a New Cat
I did all this. Now, the problem is the new cat just runs after my girls and even jumps over them. he is not aggressive at all but he wants to play with them. however, they do not want that yet. I am so worried this continues forever

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I

I did all this. Now, the problem is the new cat just runs after my girls and even jumps over them. he is not aggressive at all but he wants to play with them. however, they do not want that yet. I am so worried this continues forever
Maybe you can try this: take a towel or shirt or whatever, rub this into your new cat’s coat getting his scent all over it. Then place the thing you used where your girls eat or wherever they are at often.. their feeding spot works well because they associate that area with good things and it’s a positive area because they eat there. Then they will hopefully adjust to his scent. Once they don’t mind his scent, you can try reintroducing them.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not the status quo continuing that you need to worry about. Rather, it is the possibility that this could morph into real fighting with biting. Admittedly, that is very unlikely, but you have a cat with FIV, and it is indeed possible (albeit unlikely) for this type of situation to morph. It happened to me - from a somewhat different starting situation - and I've read about it happening to others once or twice. Ordinarily, I'd say let them work it out, but given the FIV perhaps you should stick with supervised visits until they progress. On the other hand, morphing into real fighting from this start is rare, and you would almost certainly see it happening and have days and likely weeks before a bite. So maybe the usual advice of letting them work it out is still reasonable -- just be cautious if you see signs it is morphing to actual hostility on the part of the FIV infected cat.