Two cats that can't get along

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a long saga about these two cats not getting along that I have posted about on this site before. I wont go into the details again now. I just have a couples of questions. When Kisses is alone in her safe room with the door closed Mishi ( who growls, hisses and spits at Kisses when they are face to face) is always trying to play pawsies under the door. When  I am in the safe room with Kisses, Mishi just paws at the door like crazy trying to get in. Sometimes if I open the door she will come in and sometimes not. If Kisses is out of her room and sleeping on a chair, Mishi will sneak up on Kisses with her ears flattened to her head and smell Kisses and then bop her on the head with her paw. If Kisses wakes up she usually just hisses and puts her head back down. Now, If Mishi is under the couch hiding from Kisses, Kisses will walk close by the couch or lay by it. This really aggravates Mishi who will swat out and hiss from under the couch sometimes sending Kisses running.   When these two cats come face to face, the noises let out by Mishi are terrifying. They both seem to be afraid of each other.   If this is the case, WHY do they both seem to have this weird curiosity about each other? This situation DRIVES me crazy.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two act somewhat similar.  They are very curious about each other, but still distrustful.  Mine will chase each other, hiss, sometime growl and then be found sitting next to each other.  I believe it is all part of the process.  Someone has to be top kitty and they have to work that part out.  My two have not had a fur flying fight in quite some time, but they make it known they really don't care for each other.  All I ask for is tolerance. 

Have you tried any Composure for them?  You can find it in liquid form or treats.  I have used both and find the liquid to work faster, longer and better.  Yet the treats are much cheaper.  I started off giving it to both cats.  Now only the new (more aggressive) cat gets it.  They used to both get 2 doses a day.  Now only the aggressive cat gets one dose a day.  I have also used flower essences with good results.

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats aren't people.  They often don't have obvious reasons for acting as they do.  There are two cats at the shelter who sleep together with their feet around each other--very cute, but all of a sudden one will jump out and swipe at the other cat for no apparent reason, probably just startled.  Kisses probably wants to be pals, but Mishi may want to establish dominance first.  Mishi is also probably possessive of you.  You're an important part of her universe, and she isn't sure she wants to share you with another cat.  Let them work it out in their cat ways!