Two cats that are too perfect.

sidarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

While I understand a lot of shelter cats are just mixed domestic shorthair, since bringing these two babies into my home I am curious as to what other breeds may have mixed with their genetics to make them like this.
They are siblings from the same litter, roughly 8-10months old. The small silver tabby is Selphie, the female. The larger orange tabby is her brother, Seifer. The age is a rough estimate as when they were checked in they were checked in by different people, so one vet thought Selphie was months while another assumed Seifer was 10mo because he was bigger and heavier. They were surrendered recently from a good home; no other information is known besides that they were raised from kittens together. Their temperament was the first thing to amaze everyone, they are so chill and mellow.

They were never scared or intimidated leaving the shelter and jumped out of their boxes instantly to explore when we got home. Within an hour they were curled up asleep on my sister, completely at ease. I can't believe how easy it was, from there we learned they are not like there average cat; they love to play with toys. I've never actually seen a cat use an activity center on their own to play. I didn't spent much on toys because I was warned by family members who own and have owned cats that they won't want to play. Having had a large maine coon like female cat before, I was used to the snobbish behavior and expected nothing less. Aside from this they have taken to just following me around the house and laying on their side like a dog while I do dishes or chores. They are mostly quiet cats, Seifer will mew quietly at me for food when it's meal time. He gets very excited and has to say so. He will sort of chirp lightly when he feels like saying something, or as he lands from a jump. Other than that they pur, a lot. Doesn't take much at all to get these guys purring like a motor.

Their coats are oddly silky soft, shorter on the top but then underneath it turns into a plush medium length coated belly. They both have lynx tips on their ears, little tufts of fur on the outer tips of the ears that extends 1cm or so. Their tails are very thick at the base and very slowly taper into a rounded point with flicks of fur making them appear quite pointed. She seems to have a more feral look to her face, while he just has a big open expression. They're happy to sleep in their small baskets during day hours, or on my bed, and snuggle me at night. These two babies are a wonderful addition to my life, and I look forward to seeing what people think of them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At a first glance, they seem mostly like very nice, but yet not highly unusual domestics, one red classical tabby and white, the other  a mackerel tabby and white.

A little funny them being litter-mates, one is mackerel and one is classical....

But taking a closer look, the mackerels fur color is rather unusual. made by these silvery shiny tips.  Very strong silvery. I mean, my russian blues do have their silvery tips, but they arent by far that strong.

So its really that detail making me think they may have some pedigree ancestry.  Which, I dont know.  Bengals perhaps.

Their psyche seems wonderful.   You perhaps wants to try and show them in the HouseHold Pet class?   In there, as there are no breed standards, they look mostly at the psyche and if the cat enjoys the situation.  But good looking does never hurts.  Not with people and not with cats on cats shows.   :)

You are all the winners!

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Stefan for taking the time to look over my babies. It is absurd to look at them at first glance and think they're from the same litter, he is huge and completely different patterns on his body and belly. But the ear tips ear exactly the same and the markings on their heads are identical, line for line and size for size. He has a more open and adventurous personality while she is very quiet. I didn't pay them much attention as more than just house cats when I first saw them, but after really getting to know them they are quite odd. He's finally coming out of his shell after the surgery and has started talking more. He's also an avid hunter, he loves to attack mice toys and carry them around in his mouth. You can tell they are siblings though, he gets pumped for a chase around the house and she just wants to sleep. I did confirm they came from the same litter, as there was a lot of confusion regarding their age. They both came from the same litter and were raised together until they were surrendered this month. The previous owners however didn't leave any information on their parents or didn't know.
Aren't normal domestic short hairs supposed to have a sort of thicker, more coarse feeling coat? While I know they are still young and fluffy, they are silky smooth and their fur is quite shiny (probably from the silvery white tips) under good lighting.

Miss Purdy is adorable! She does look a lot like my baby Selphie! Her ears are less pointed and she looks less feral than my baby, much more softer and rounded. How old odd Miss Purdy? My little Selphie is a scrawny girl but I'll be happy to see her full out if her genetics allow. For now she is a slinky little thing. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what does her fur feel like? :)

sidarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a little more info, I had Selphie sitting in front of a window earlier with direct sunlight and I cannot believe her coat. I didn't look up close before but the darker black is actually blue/black. In the sun her dark stripes and spots shine with deep blue and silver, with the lighter colours just a silky silver when the sun hits them right. It's kind of mesmerizing. Seifer on the other hand seems to enjoy the shade and doesn't want to lie in the sun for me.

sidarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks slykat, I had been looking to adopt one from
Someone in my area if they needed to get rid of a cat, and not finding one of the right age I went looking at our local shelter next. It was a hard choice and many of them broke my heart because I couldn't take care of them. But these two were a perfect fit, and I'm so greatful for them. :)

She has such huge gorgeous eyes! I can't believe how green they are. I'm assuming they're from the same litter, my baby boy is just huge. He makes her look like a kitten when he sits next to her. Hahaha.

They have a very silky coat that is like satin in the sun, it reflects lovely. I don't know what their grandparents were but it's made a lovely mix. Haha.

oreofan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cats are gorgeous! And they're really cute together <3

And your Selphie reminds me a lot of my Toby! I'm just getting ready to make a post with some pictures of him because I'm curious about his background too.

sidarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cute doesn't even begin to cover it. She snuggles him around the neck and nips him into submission so she can clean his face. And they love to explore together, and hunt each other around the house. These two love to pounce on each other.