Two cats only use one litterbox?

Lorraine97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, just wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on this for me. I have two cats, and three litterboxes that I have spaced throughout the house. One of them is quite small, but it's a good size for my youngest kitten. She has used it since she arrived home, no issues. Since they have become good enough buddies to leave unsupervised now, they have free roam of the house and I've noticed they both only seem to be using one litterbox, the tiny one? 😂 My older boy is 9 months old and reeeeaaaally doesn't fit well in this tiny litterbox, but I have seen him use it several times so I know he is definitely toileting. I've also seen my girl continue to use it which I expected, the large tub I have for my boy is a bit of an effort for her to jump into.

I guess I'm wondering why my boy might have suddenly decided to stop using his spacious litterbox he's always used and suddenly decide to squeeze himself into the young kitten's litterbox? Could it be like, a territorial thing even though he's neutered? He's longhaired and 5.5kg, so every time he uses it he makes a mess 😂 I would love for him to go back to using his tub. And the third one, they NEVER use?! 😂

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be territorial, I suppose. Maybe try placing these two litter boxes close together and then taking your youngest kitten's 'deposits' from the smaller box and putting them in the bigger litter box to see if your boy will use it then. For now, leave your third box in place, as you never know when one or the other might end up using it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally (although with cats there are always LOTS of exceptions), territoriality would involve guarding, and not allowing the kitten to use the smaller box. Maybe it's just the sharing of space that he enjoys. Do try FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's suggestion of putting two of the boxes close together and see what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lorraine97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It could be territorial, I suppose. Maybe try placing these two litter boxes close together and then taking your youngest kitten's 'deposits' from the smaller box and putting them in the bigger litter box to see if your boy will use it then. For now, leave your third box in place, as you never know when one or the other might end up using it.
Of course, I'm not getting rid of the third one haha. I have moved two close together so we shall see what happens 😂

Generally (although with cats there are always LOTS of exceptions), territoriality would involve guarding, and not allowing the kitten to use the smaller box. Maybe it's just the sharing of space that he enjoys. Do try FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's suggestion of putting two of the boxes close together and see what happens.
Good to know, he definitely isn't guarding anything or not letting her use it. I have moved two boxes close together, I will see what he does 😂

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe he thinks he's teaching her 😂

That is cute. They may change their preferences with time.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats like to go after the other one, they wait for their buddy to finish, then jump in and use the box. No idea why.
I have a friend with several indoor cats. She has NINE litter boxes, more than the requisite "1 for each cat plus 1." She says that sometimes it looks like the ladies' room at the theater, with everyone lined up for the same box!