Two cats, one with litter box phobia

TwoCatMom16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick version - the younger male cat (just over 5 years old) has been pooping outside the litter box for about 2 1/2 years now (not always, just occasionally). Am now getting to the frustration point because it's now more frequent. I have changed litter brand, type, to unscented, multiple boxes, isolated him...all to no avail. I have to keep him caged (large size, plenty of room to jump, etc), with toys, food, litter, etc. I let him out to play with his brother so he can get exercise. Just today, let him out. Watched him pee in his brother's litter box (different, scented litter), and then poop outside the box across the room. He does poop in the box, sometimes. I have no clue what to do at this point. I believe it's behavior, that he doesn't like change, but how do I stop it? Desperately seeking help!!! I love him dearly, but will have to place him elsewhere if we cannot come to an agreement that he only uses the box(es)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you please explain why you keep him caged? If it's to prevent him from going outside the litterbox, I'm afraid it won't help matters at all. Or is there another reason?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has this been discussed with your vet? I ask because one reason for pooping outside the box is painful elimination. They associate the pain with the box, not their own bodies. It is worth checking into.