Two Cats. One Cat Keeps Peeing On The Couch.

Derekashdown22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about a month ago my cats had a radical shift to their routine. We moved! It was a great decision for the humans, but a lot of stress for our feline friends...
One cat decided to start throwing up everywhere (fixed with a round of anti nausea meds), while the other decided to start peeing on my roommates couch...
We have one automatic litter box (the petmate one and upgrading to the litter robot soon) so the litter is always clean. Their food is rather close to the litter box, so moving that away from litter box today. The litter box is tucked away into a corner in the kitchen and is not enclosed... considering purchasing pheromone collar? I don’t I’m a little at witts end. The couch itself is a double papasan chair, so luckily the cushion can just be replaced. My roommate did inherit the couch from a different roommate who had cats, so I do wonder if she’s marking it for that reason? We finally caught the culprit today, so we know which cat it is. Slightly considering getting a second litter box, but I don’t really want to deal with a second litter box...

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My view is that a second litter box is actually easier, they both stay cleaner and it's as easy to scoop 2 as one. I don't have the automatic ones though. I feel better giving my 2 cats a choice :dunno:
Have 2 cats and 3 litterboxes.:agree:
But I also think moving stress and marking could be it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's is likely a combination of moving and the "new" couch with strange smells. So, I would get another cushion ASAP and perhaps cover it with plastic when not in use at least for a week and see if that will break the habit. Or, you can try placing a blanket or towel with the cats' scent on them on top of the new cushion. The key is to get the pattern broken as quickly as you can - and to make every square inch of the place smell like them, as their old place used to.

The rule of thumb is one litter box for each cat, plus one. So, at a minimum, you should consider getting another box and placing it an area away from the first one. Since they apparently only used one before, it is possible after they are more acclimated to their new home, you could remove it.

Last edited: