Two Cats Have Been Friends For Years. Now One Keeps Attacking The Other. Will You Help Us?

animalssentient

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom has two cats, Perlita and Suzy. Suzy is Perlita's daughter and for years they've been good friends and gotten along very well. But lately, Suzy has started to attack Perlita.

It's happening everyday. And Suzy also growls and hisses at Perlita a lot, which she never did before.

Suzy is quite big and Perlita is teeny tiny, so it's potentially dangerous. My mom has been keeping them separated when she's not home, and sometimes also when she is home.

My mom is at the point where she is seriously considering giving Suzy away, which makes us both sad. But she's also wondering if something is wrong with one of them.

Could it be a medical issue, either for Suzy, or maybe for Perlita (and Suzy smells it)? Have you heard of this happening before, and do you have any ideas for solving it? They are both indoor cats so, btw.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - gracious sakes, don't give her away!!
Yes, please if she hasn't seen a vet for a while, do get her in asap.
Also, depending on the results of that, there are some other things you-all can do -

There are calming products, including diffusers, treats, collars available that have numerous types of different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.
Feliway is a common one, Composure is also a product to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet has one, and Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at.
Even prescription calming products if nothing else works, --Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (like excessive grooming).
Here are a couple articles that might help, and I'll look for others;
Re-directed Aggression in Cats
When Physical Problems Turn into Behavior Problems

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, by the way, both cats are spayed? And, you're right, it could be that Perlita has an issue that a vet could detect, so if possible do get them both in.
Hang in there and let us know what happens!
:goodluck: :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animalssentient

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Seriously, I'm so appreciative right now. :redheartpump::hearthrob: I sent a link to my mom so she can read your advice. She is feeling quite sad and stressed about the situation. I will keep you updated and also pass on any follow up questions or comments she might have.

And yes, both cats are spayed.

animalssentient

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
p.s. If anyone else has advice, please add it. You never know what will and won't work.
Thank you so much :lovecat2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry about your Mom's cats suddenly fighting. Did anything at all change at your Mom's house? Are both cats still eating and using the litter box normally? Sometimes when something like this happens, it's because one cat got scared by something outside and is blaming it on the other cat. How old are Perlita and Suzy?

animalssentient

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. Things are the same. My mom mentioned changing their food but that was like a month before this began.

"Sometimes when something like this happens, it's because one cat got scared by something outside and is blaming it on the other cat."

This is a good insight! I hadn't known that was possible until I read it on the thread "3 "boyz" New Aggression Problem"

Perlita is about 8 or 9 and Suzy is 7.

Here's an email my mom sent me today:

I checked some of the answers, I will look more into it on Friday, I have this weekend off and will have more time.
They have been OK this morning, but I am leaving Perlita in my room today, I am going out for work.
Suzy has been fine today, I am just worried about not separating them when I am not here.
Thank you for sending me the links. I am trying to figure out if maybe I have been nervous and sending bad smells to Suzy also.
I know Suzy reacts very well if I am comb and use a nice quiet voice when I try to calm her down, she got more aggressive the first day because I got angry at her and started shouting and scolding her.

animalssentient

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Just an update to let everyone know the cats are good friends again. Suzy even gives Perlita little kisses now and then (which is what she used to do). Whatever it was that was bothering Suzy, she got over it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Glad things are back to normal. :catlove:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello! Just an update to let everyone know the cats are good friends again. Suzy even gives Perlita little kisses now and then (which is what she used to do). Whatever it was that was bothering Suzy, she got over it.
Hurray! What a relief!