Two Cat Mums And Kittens

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ive currently rescued two stray cat and their kittens. One ive been feeding since a kitten so is very tame and she had her kittens outside the front door as she's still young don't think she quiet new what was going on as she looked so scared and the dogs were running around so brought them in and gave them a bed. But today I found a kitten crying stuck in a spiked cactus bush so I got it out and realize it had an eye infection so I took it in and not far behind come running was it mum who I've fed in the past, so I brought her into giving there was only one kitten in her nest I'm guessing the rest passed away so wanted to keep this one safe. I'm tending to the other kittens eye as a couple also have infections so one more wasn't in issue. But I don't really want the mum cats running around the house so I tried to put them into the same room but the tame mummy cat it fine with the other mum but hisses at the kitten. I've currently got mum and baby in a cat box so she can get used to the room and the other mum is in and out the house. My question is if I keep introducing the kitten to her will she accept it in the room with its mum or will she continue to regent it as I don't want to leave them locked in a cat box all day and only let out now and again. The kitten I helped deliver were 3 weeks Sunday and I'm guessing the new one is about a month. The other mum hasn't moved from the box but she is aware other kittens are in the room and seemed interested when hearing them cry to be fed. Just want to know if I'm going to have to find new place for this mum and kitten. Once they are old enough I'm going to introduce them to being back outside with there mum as I have beds outside for the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also worried that the new mum may harm the other kittens if I leave the cat box open for her to walk around the room. If all works out I'll put a bed in there for her if not I'll find somewhere else to put the bed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you put the new mom and her kitten in a different room with food, water, and litter?

What are you using to treat the kittens' eye infections?

Can you get the moms spayed after the kittens wean?

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the old other rooms are the bed rooms ones mine and the other is my 1year old daughters so didn't really want to put them in there as I don't know if they have anything and don't really want them climbing on bed. I've had the tame mum in the bath room in a draw on the floor with a blanket and Its hot weather were I am so the bath room is the coolest part of the house but not to cold and that way the mums ain't climbing over the furniture. the mum literally gets let out to do her business and come in straight to the bathroom. Which she seems to be happy with.
I've been cleaning with warm water and cotton wall also using antibiotic gel and was told today by vet to try tea as one of the kittens eyes as got really bad. I've grown up with cats and my mum has helped me with that side as she has dogs and cats and has had to deal with it before. Tbh I don't really want to think about how much it would cost. Where I live everywhere you look there are stray cats and dogs so I do what I can when it comes to feeding and caring. But will look into it.
will the other mum accept the kitten? When I broughtthe kitten in without the mum she was wrapped up and the mum was licking it as soon as I put it on the floor she started hissing. That was without the kittens mum there. But don't really want to put it back outside as its got an eye infection and won't be able to tend to it as the mum will move it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L Larley

Try putting the kitten with your tame mom to nurse if its own mom will not feed it. Your tame mom should accept the kitten fairly quickly. Put it to a nipple. I agree the kitten should not go back outside.

Can you ask your vet for a tube of terramycin ointment? That should clear up the eyes.

What's your city and state and I'll look for low-cost spay clinics in your area.

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not in America I've got a vet not far I can give them a call and sort that. The mum is feeding her kitten she's happy sitting in the cat box feeding and licking her kitten I showed her one of the other cats kittens and she just sniffed it and didn't really mind it just the tame cat who has the problem. Well when I spoke to them they just said use what I'm using. I'm in turkey so not sure they will have the same stuff

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping! Can you add litter boxes and keep the moms inside?

They can already get pregnant again, or something could happen to mom while the babies are dependent on her.

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mums doesn't go far she gets along with the dogs she has been around since a kitten and before the kittens used to cuddle up to the dogs who are actually very protective of the cats and the tame mum used to cuddle up and sleep with them. The other mum used to come Round but stopped a little while back. They never go far from the house though. And they haven't been letting the male cats near them tbh but I don't want them to get to used to being just in the house as once the kittens are old enough I will be letting them out back out.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The issue is that they can get pregnant again within a week of delivery and without going into heat.

They can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seeing as they are strays I don't want to mess around with their normal to much I will look into getting them spayed but atm they seem to be ok mum goes out and eats and pees and poos and then sits around in the sun the males ain't interested. The new mum I don't know her belly seems a bit round but and the males seem to tell her off

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To be honest with you I just need to know if the other mum will get used to the kitten being in the same room as she has no problem with the other mum

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the mom will get used to the kitten. It should not take too long. Give it a chance.

When the mom hisses she is just protecting her own kittens. She will realize soon that the kitten is not a threat.

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mum suggested putting the blanket her kittens are on in the cat box with the other mum and kitten so that they have their scent it may help?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may help for the kitten to have the other cat and kittens' scents on it. Give it a try!

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try that tomorrow. The other mum seems more comfortable they are both in the bathroom now sitting feeding there baby I've taken the top off the cat box so the mum can get in and out and they both seem fine keeping o themselves I'll try the scent thing tomorrow as the kitten will be more awake and wanting to walk around

Larley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What I'm worrie about if it gets the other kittens scent the mum might regret it but then she didn't mind the other kitten and layed down for them as if to let them suckle. Worth a try anyways