Tuxedos

morumi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a tuxedo full-grown male cat. one day we were out in the yard on a bright sunny day I turned and looked at him and the black on his body was actually brown and black calico! this was really interesting to me does anybody know anything about this ?

fairfaxtoaustin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard that some black cats have a barely perceptible tabby pattern, consisting of slightly brown black hairs slightly contrasting with totally black hairs:

"Sometimes the tabby pattern is not completely suppressed; faint markings may appear in certain lights, even on a solid black cat."    from  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_cat

Not sure, but is this what they mean by "ticked" fur?

fairfaxtoaustin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some black cats have a tabby pattern, which is not totally suppressed.  It shows up as faint brownish black hairs among the black fur, and it can be seen only in some lighting.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, black cats actually are tabbies, the solid color masks the stripes until you can see it in just the right light. So you just saw his ghost stripes!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You may also see something called "rusting" in black cats who have been out in the sun. Basically, the black fades out to a brownish color, and it can be patchy rather than an even color change.