Turning Into “the Crazy Cat Lady”

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there guys,

So I’ve been running into trouble a lot lately with those around me on Facebook groups and even a few instances here on the forum. I have been accused of breeding, running kitten mills, abusing, and neglecting my cats. Some guy also told me recently when I posted on a Facebook group to ask for a reputable Siamese breeder in my area that I was “turning into the crazy cat lady from the simpsons.” Obviously, I got a little chuckle from that one but I still find it a bit unsettling. Right now I have 4 personal cats, 3 fosters that are returning to my local humane, and Amora and her kittens in my home. I know that this time I took on too many fosters, I just had a hard time saying no. However, I find that people seem to take the amount of cats that I own and kittens that I’m trying to rehome (amoras babies)as an indication that I’m a byb and that I’m selling and buying more kittens. Which is completely preposterous to me and no matter how much I try to tell others that I’m now only looking for a single breed specific cat, the fact that I’m looking, but also rehoming my fosters, makes them believe I’m some sort of kitten mill person. I was even accused on this very forum for just asking about the colors of cats, as I lived in a rural area and had never seen cats besides black and white, black, orange, calico, etc. when growing up. My family never owned any cats either besides my grandmother who had all of those colors. I’m trying to provide my cats with the best life possible and yet I keep getting accused of this and somehow end up in arguements on Facebook about people rehoming 4 week old kittens, the fact that i specifically wanted a purebred show (pedigree)Siamese cat and didn’t want to adopt from a shelter, my own fostering program, and more. It seems that drama follows me everywhere I go and never goes in my favor even though I’m trying to help. I’m really really trying to do the nest I can. But I love cats I really do. I could literally just buy a house when I’m rich, adopt 20 cats, and live a happy content life. I just can’t say no and I really love how all cats are individual and unique. They may look the same, but every cat I have chosen to actually adopt this far has held a special place in my heart. I guess I just have a big heart because i still feel like there’s a lot of space.

How do I avoid the negative stereotype(s) being trown at me and am I really just the crazy cat lady?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there guys,

So I’ve been running into trouble a lot lately with those around me on Facebook groups and even a few instances here on the forum. I have been accused of breeding, running kitten mills, abusing, and neglecting my cats. Some guy also told me recently when I posted on a Facebook group to ask for a reputable Siamese breeder in my area that I was “turning into the crazy cat lady from the simpsons.” Obviously, I got a little chuckle from that one but I still find it a bit unsettling. Right now I have 4 personal cats, 3 fosters that are returning to my local humane, and Amora and her kittens in my home. I know that this time I took on too many fosters, I just had a hard time saying no. However, I find that people seem to take the amount of cats that I own and kittens that I’m trying to rehome (amoras babies)as an indication that I’m a byb and that I’m selling and buying more kittens. Which is completely preposterous to me and no matter how much I try to tell others that I’m now only looking for a single breed specific cat, the fact that I’m looking, but also rehoming my fosters, makes them believe I’m some sort of kitten mill person. I was even accused on this very forum for just asking about the colors of cats, as I lived in a rural area and had never seen cats besides black and white, black, orange, calico, etc. when growing up. My family never owned any cats either besides my grandmother who had all of those colors. I’m trying to provide my cats with the best life possible and yet I keep getting accused of this and somehow end up in arguements on Facebook about people rehoming 4 week old kittens, the fact that i specifically wanted a purebred show (pedigree)Siamese cat and didn’t want to adopt from a shelter, my own fostering program, and more. It seems that drama follows me everywhere I go and never goes in my favor even though I’m trying to help. I’m really really trying to do the nest I can. But I love cats I really do. I could literally just buy a house when I’m rich, adopt 20 cats, and live a happy content life. I just can’t say no and I really love how all cats are individual and unique. They may look the same, but every cat I have chosen to actually adopt this far has held a special place in my heart. I guess I just have a big heart because i still feel like there’s a lot of space.

How do I avoid the negative stereotype(s) being trown at me and am I really just the crazy cat lady?

There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with being a cat lady. I have 7 of my own, care for many community cats whom I claim as mine own and a couple dogs. I understand where you are coming from, people seem to think if a person has more than 2 cats, they're a crazy cat lady. :rolleyes3: I'm sorry you've run into that kind of thinking here on TCS. I do love the block button on fb because I ain't got time for all that drama. I think of it as long as you can provide each cat with love, care, food and support medical issues that those are deciding factors on how many you can care for. IMO it might be good to wait to things settle with the fosters so that the new Siamese won't be as stressed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with being a cat lady. I have 7 of my own, care for many community cats whom I claim as mine own and a couple dogs. I understand where you are coming from, people seem to think if a person has more than 2 cats, they're a crazy cat lady. :rolleyes3: I'm sorry you've run into that kind of thinking here on TCS. I do love the block button on fb because I ain't got time for all that drama. I think of it as long as you can provide each cat with love, care, food and support medical issues that those are deciding factors on how many you can care for. IMO it might be good to wait to things settle with the fosters so that the new Siamese won't be as stressed.
Definately! I wouldn’t be purchasing until next year around this time, I’m just looking for someone who can point me in the right direction so I can find the right kitty. Thank you :hearthrob:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do I avoid the negative stereotype
Well, here's the thing - and the facebook television ads that are being run lately stating that they are going to turn/return into a wonderful, caring warm-and-fuzzy entity and platform notwithstanding, it seems to me that social media has made it REALLY REALLY easy for some people to rip into other people because there's no accountability for the garbage that they're saying.
Intelligence, common sense, morals/ethics, and also compassion for said cats, is out the window. I don't think you can avoid these types of comments, and no, it isn't fair or right.

Last edited:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are a crazy cat lady you are in good company I am a ccl and proud of it I have 9 of my own 2 were supposed to be for 1 or 2 months from people I knew who got evicted or were going through a divorce That was last fall. And I have 5 fosters from the shelter and I feed 4 outside. I was feeding 15 but I started TN R ing.
There is nothing wrong with wanting a certain breed Just make sure it is not from a kitten mill.
And bless you for trying to rehome I
I don't go on FB much I barely have time for real life There are too many crazy (for real) people on FB and unfortunately even some on TCS. Just love your babies and do what you can to save others and ignore the idiots

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
At one time, we had eight cats in the house. They were fine, we were fine. Since then we've lost three, so we're down to five cats and The Beast. We will never, ever again have eight cats as we are getting older and we know it would be too much now.

Here's the thing and this is just my two cents: Have as many cats as you can take care of. That's the important thing. You have to take care of these cats; they depend on you for food, for scooping, for medical expenses, and for love and attention. If you can do that without breaking your bank, you're fine and you can tell everybody else to go fly a kite. But remember, all it takes is one thing to go wrong sometimes. And then you can find yourself in a rough spot. And it does happen.

One of my co-workers is a cat guy. He has two gorgeous long-haired male babies. He provides for them, he adores them, he caters to their every whim. He's thought about getting another cat or two. But he doesn't want to upset the boys he has now. And he also worries about taking proper care of them: the money, the time, the attention. He wants to do everything he can to make sure his boys have the best of care. And if that means no other cats, then so be it. He's fine with that.

And again, that's JMO.