Turning an outdoor kitten to an indoor one?

heidi124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

I'm new here and looking for some answers concerning my new kitten.

For the backround information I have a 1 year old cat that made us feel like he was very lonely on the days that we're at work. He's a very social cat and loves company and contact. When I'm home he always is near me, usually at my feet or when my boyfriend leaves for work, he jumps right into the bed and sleeps half on to me. We have been pondering for a while now about getting a new cat to keep him company.

2 months ago I caught a kitten at "dairy farm", or however you call that, a wild one, never seen human contact, comes to get some cheese or milk from the employees along with all the other cats that hang around there. My boyfriend tells me that his boss is thinking about putting some of them down because there are way too many cats around the "industry" ( it's more like a village production dairy ). I wonder why they won't neuter them but... nothing you can do about that... So I took him home with me, thinking to myself I'm sparing one kitten and maybe some others...

So up until I caught him he lived outside with his mom, brothers and sisters and other cats that hang around there.

I got the kitten, he must have been 6 or 7 weeks old, very skinny. He hooked up with my older cat straight away, they are always together, like 2 peas in a pod. I see that my older cat is so happy to have a friend to play, sleep with when we are not home.

So I fed him well, dewormed him, and now he has a nice plump belly, you can't see his bones anymore, a nice in shape kitten. He's getting a bit more social, but still, sometimes he runs about when you go in his direction and doesn't really like to be touched. All depends on the situation, if you play with him, he comes to you, or if he's sleeping on the couch, you can go and touch him, he won't move. In other situations you walk past him, he squishes himself to the floor or runs away.

Anyways, I live on the ground floor and don't have the possibility to let my cats go out, my other cat has never been outside and is fine with it, but this one seems to have trouble adjusting. The other night I went to put some clothes out for 20 seconds, he was already out the door and I didn't notice it straight away. Then I notice like 10 minutes later that I don't see or hear him and realize he's no where to be found, I go outside but... nothing, can't see him. Long story short, he comes back to the window and I notice someone's there because my cat always miaows when he sees another cat outside, I see the kitten trying to climb through the window, so I go out but since he's a bit wild, he scares off and runs away... leave the window open and sure enough, 30 minutes later, he's back through the window and inside. Scare number 1.

This morning again, was cleaning the litter box, he just went outside before I could do anything, luckily I managed to scare him back inside...

Now I see him on the window still trying to get through the insect shield and miaowing at birds... he's always been very vocal.

Now I'm wondering what to do with this 3 month old kitten... Can I turn him into an apartment cat? He seems happy, always with my other cat, both like to look outside the windows, but it's not like he's spending his days looking out the windows either, he plays a lot, uses his litter box, eats a lot, is starting to get less scared, but now and again, I notice he really gets out really fast and easily if a door is open whereas my other cat just stays there and looks.

What do you guys think? Because if I can't make him happy, I will try to reown him in a home where he can be let out... but again, seeing how wild he is I wonder how that will turn out...

Or do I just bring him back to the dairy farm? The risks of him getting shot are minimal but still... we never know... will he be able to adjust back easily?

I'm a bit lost, not a cat expert, my older cat is scared of the outdoors and never was out... so yeah here I have a bit of a challenge. I'm starting to get attached to this little wild monkey, and he's getting quite used to us and comfortable around us, but if he can't be happy inside, I don't want to force it.

Thanks in advice for your answers.

Oh, we live in a 2 pieces apartment, pretty big, we have a real branch cat tree that he races up all the time, and we are looking to move in the next year, maybe he'll have the possibility to go outside then, but then I'm not really sure how I can let him go out and not the older cat...

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, it sounds to me like you and he are doing fine.  You haven't said anything that indicates to me that he's unhappy living with you guys.  It's normal that, being used to outside, he'll try to get out where he gets the opportunity, but it seems like he's perfectly happy to come back.  I'd jut keep trying to be attentive and prevent him from getting out as much as you can.  Other than that,it sounds everything is going well.

Congrats on your new addition!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heidi124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great thanks for your input!

It's true that since my first cat never went outside, the question never asked itself, so I was a bit wondering with that one.

Thank you !

fluffypokey98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do Not bring him back to the farm when they said they may put them to sleep! Tell bf to collect cats and bring to local shelters. Bring kitten to a shelter now if you can't deal with the cat. A kitten can be made into an indoor cat. But i would suggest keeping him inside and letting him outside for a few hours after a week or so inside. Maybe let him occasionally out if he prefers it. my cats were born outside but live inside and occasionally go outside for 1-4 hours every few days.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I absolutely agree with Tulosai.. it all sounds fine.  My boy  hounds me to let him out but now it's just a game for him.  He's perfectly happy indoors.

It's wonderful that you've given this little guy a home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heidi124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well he can't catch the cats, they are wild.

I was thinking about catching a few ( well 1 or 2 max because we live in an apartment ), socialize them a bit and re-home them, the boss would be really happy because they have too many cats. Now it's too late though, they are too big and run way to fast to be caught.

I'm wondering if that won't give me issues with my landlord, he's quite picky...and he hates animals so that might get me into some problems...

I don't know, I'll see if I catch any of the newborns ( 6-7 weeks I mean older there is no way you can catch them sadly ) and maybe I can directly re-home them and just keep them for max a week maybe...to be discussed...

I was wondering about letting him go out for a few hours in some weeks but... I'm afraid it'll make him want to go out even more and that I can't give him...

So for now I'll keep him inside, it's true, he really doesn't seem unhappy, I just feel bad when he's behind the windows...

This morning he climbed in the bed purring to join my other cat that was sleeping next to my head, I could pet him and he didn't run away, so that's getting on to some major improvement!

Thanks for your answers, much appreciated, I feel less guilty keeping him in!