Turmeric For Tapeworms

gentle&bebek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just a couple days ago a cat followed me into my house and i welcomed him as my other cat bebek needed a friend cat,

this cat has fleas and tapeworm but other than that he looks healthy,

i did some research and found that turmeric has four active ingridients in it that kills internal parasites,

would it be okay to dip some fish in turmeric and give it to my cat to eat?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly I've never heard of using Turmeric for this purpose, but there have been several people here who've used diatomaceous earth rather than "chemicals" for fleas.

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With any natural remedy there are downsides. Tumeric CAN be a worm killer but its not guaranteed. It also can reduce blood clotting. I myself would be leery about not knowing how effective it is and having the problem get out of control.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read about it, but wouldn't use it. I'd treat with Fenbendazole (Panacur). It will knock out tapeworm and several other internal parasites all in one go, and it's relatively safe.

gusandjohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't bother with it you should use the stuff made for treating tape worms right away, before it spreads to you or other family members I had a friend that didn't treat her cat for worms and she got very sick from getting worms from the cat and had to go to the hospital multipal times, and it took awhile and medications to get rid of it. But I would be careful of the new cat coming from the street with worms etc it may have more than that and your cat catch something worse than worms, it should get checked out by a vet and have tests done to be safe if you plan on keeping it. Maybe I'm just parionoid but I've looked at adoptions at cat rescues and most of the strays have diseases that require them to be only cats due to it spreading to other cats so if it were me I'd take it to a rescue or straight to the vet but not near my own cat until you know it's safe to do so.