Turkish van?

Strayacat01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A while back i found out my cat (grey) got out and mated with this cat (white) his name is greyson and is my neighbors cat. My lovely cat is now pregnant with his litter and I don’t know what his breed is or what kittens my love will have. She is a Russian Blue ☺ Can someone help and identify his breed? Im thinking maybe a Turkish van.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe Greyson as a blue and white domestic longhair. He is very handsome! White markings like this are caused by the white spotting gene. The same gene is responsible for all types of white markings in cats, including both cats with small amounts of white (such as "tuxedo cats") and cats with lots of white (like "van pattern" cats). We see many domestic cats with "van pattern" but most of them are not actually related to the Turkish Van breed, as that breed is very rare. Most cats are not any particular breed.

I would describe your girl as a blue domestic shorthair. She is lovely, too!

How old is your girl? She looks quite young in the pictures.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Strayacat01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would describe Greyson as a blue and white domestic longhair. He is very handsome! White markings like this are caused by the white spotting gene. The same gene is responsible for all types of white markings in cats, including both cats with small amounts of white (such as "tuxedo cats") and cats with lots of white (like "van pattern" cats). We see many domestic cats with "van pattern" but most of them are not actually related to the Turkish Van breed, as that breed is very rare. Most cats are not any particular breed.

I would describe your girl as a blue domestic shorthair. She is lovely, too!

How old is your girl? She looks quite young in the pictures.
Very interesting 🧐 thank you for that!
Im not sure of her age but I've had her for about four months now. Heres a pic of her when i got her!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like she was very young when you got her... if you've had her for four months, she might be about 6 months old now?

I would suggest that you take your girl to the vet and have her examined. If she is pregnant, given her age, if she was my cat I would consider a spay-abort. She is really very young to have kittens... she is still a kitten herself.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How young is your cat? If she's only 4-6 months old I would for sure highly consider a spay abort. Unfortunately many older kittens have much higher risk pregnancies and do not always care for their kittens. Given that her eyes are yellow I would say she is a domestic short hair blue and not a russian blue as they have green eyes. Some people like to say a kitten is such and such breed just to sell them for more money sigh. Annoys the heck out of me lol. The neighbors cat I would say is just a stunning domestic medium hair cat and I hope they get him fixed...