Turkish van mix?????????

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have seen allot of posts on here where folks (like me) have a cat that looks exactly like a Turkish van. The one we have is a mix of course, not a purebred, but is possible that a long haired domestic cat could have some Turkish van in them?
The reason I asked (according to the experts) the Turkish van is a rare breed and only came to the USA in 1982.
The feral cat that came to our house and had kittens (this is where we got our little baby). She had two litters of kittens - 6 of the 8 kittens she had, looked exactly like a Turkish van. She (the momma cat) is a calico but the 6 kittens have all the markings of a van. Our baby looks exactly like a van, sounds like a van, and loves water like a van. She will jump in the bath tub and swim around. She is the smartest cat we have ever had. She has the plume tail and the cashmere coat. Her eyes are amber like a van.
Is possible that the feral mother cat has some of van in her since a majority of her kittens looks like vans?

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your baby sounds precious
Your cat and her littermates are what Turkish Van Breeders call "Vanalikes" The Turkish Van's pattern is common in the domestic population, and it is caused by the gene for white spotting. There are many longhair cats that have the Van pattern that are not Turkish Vans, just like there are many shorthair cats with the pointed pattern that are not Siamese.

The Turkish Van is an incredibly rare breed. The number of active Turkish Van breeders in the US is in the single digits. There are no Turkish Van breeders in Kentucky, and I think the closest Van breeder to you would be in Missouri.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Your baby sounds precious
Your cat and her littermates are what Turkish Van Breeders call "Vanalikes" The Turkish Van's pattern is common in the domestic population, and it is caused by the gene for white spotting. There are many longhair cats that have the Van pattern that are not Turkish Vans, just like there are many shorthair cats with the pointed pattern that are not Siamese.

The Turkish Van is an incredibly rare breed. The number of active Turkish Van breeders in the US is in the single digits. There are no Turkish Van breeders in Kentucky, and I think the closest Van breeder to you would be in Missouri.
thanks for the info - i think the closest breeder is in Michigan. but she loves water - i thought most cats hate water. that is what made me think she might be a mix.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to see a picture - I am sure she is beautiful. I have three cats who like water - two just play with the shower but the third actually swims in my pond from time to time. The first time he fell in by accident, discovered he could swim and now does it deliberately!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had many other domestics and other types of purebreds that liked playing in water. Its not just a TA thing

Also the Turkish Van's got their names from the van color pattern. This is found on many other breeds/mixes, so just because a cat has the van pattern (color on head, tail and maybe a small amount of color on the body) it doesn't mean the cat as any kind of Turkish Van in the background.

Same thing goes for the pointed gene - just because a cat is pointed, doesn't make it a Siamese or Himalayan cat or has it in the background.

Your cat sounds very pretty but its highly unlikely to have any TA in the background even if it looks or acts like one.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Also the Turkish Van's got their names from the van color pattern. This is found on many other breeds/mixes, so just because a cat has the van pattern (color on head, tail and maybe a small amount of color on the body) it doesn't mean the cat as any kind of Turkish Van in the background.
Quick fact-- The Van pattern is named for the cat! The Turkish Van hails from the Van region of Turkey, which itself is named for Lake Van. The first Turkish Vans were discovered in this region, and the cats are known for playing and fishing along the lake's shores. Before the Turkish Van became a breed, cats with the Van pattern were simply called Harlequins.

The Lake Van region has experience much geo-political shift throughout history. At one point, it was occupied by Armenians. The patterned Van cat is the Armenian people's traditional cat of good luck and fortune.

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I would love to see a picture - I am sure she is beautiful. I have three cats who like water - two just play with the shower but the third actually swims in my pond from time to time. The first time he fell in by accident, discovered he could swim and now does it deliberately!
I have some pictures of her on here, but i don't know how to get to them to attach. can you help?

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jimanuel12

I have some pictures of her on here, but i don't know how to get to them to attach. can you help?
see if this works:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/att...7&d=1257885862

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/att...8&d=1257885895

also, my cat fitches like a dog, her fur is like silk (rabbit fur almost), she swims in the tub, she sounds like a van. i have read all the articles on vans and she has all the characteristics.
i know the breed is rare but she must carry a gene like the vans have.