Turkish Van Cat?

devv_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a cat from some people who found him outside when he was a kitten. When they came to drop him off and opened his cage for him to come out I was surprise by how BIG he was! Since then I have been trying to figure out what type of breed he is and I came across information about the "Turkish van" breed. He looks EXACTLY like the pictures and his weight and size meet the characteristics of vans. Another thing about him which I was very surprised about was when I first got him and gave him a bath he kind of just sat there. He didn't necessarily enjoy it but he didn't scratch and try to jump out either. I read that they are nicknamed "swimming cats". He is also very...very clumsy! Not at all graceful and always bumping into things and knocking things over. I read that that was another common thing in vans. Anyway I was hoping to get others opinions and maybe talk to anyone who may own a Turkish van. Here are some pictures. (please excuse my messy room My toddler was running around pulling things out of drawers just before these pictures were taken lol)

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Some Turkish Van influence certainly is possible, but it's hard to tell exactly how much Turkish Van he has in him, especially since they're such a rare breed (outside of Turkey, that is, in Turkey they just roam the streets to this day). He does have the van markings, though, so he would be a red tabby van Domestic Mediumhair. He is handsome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

devv_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some Turkish Van influence certainly is possible, but it's hard to tell exactly how much Turkish Van he has in him, especially since they're such a rare breed (outside of Turkey, that is, in Turkey they just roam the streets to this day). He does have the van markings, though, so he would be a red tabby van Domestic Mediumhair. He is handsome!
Thanks for your response! Whatever he is we love him dearly! He's such a good boy and even let's my 2 year old lay on him and squish him lol! I'm thinking he may be a van mix. There are some breeders in tx not too far from my area so who knows he could have come from them. We're just happy to have him! (:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for your response! Whatever he is we love him dearly! He's such a good boy and even let's my 2 year old lay on him and squish him lol! I'm thinking he may be a van mix. There are some breeders in tx not too far from my area so who knows he could have come from them. We're just happy to have him! :)
Well, if you have Turkish Van breeders near you, then that definitely increases the chance that your baby has Turkish Van influence. All it takes is a whole male to escape for 5 minutes, and breed with a feral female, then suddenly the genes are in the feral population. So, even though he's *technically* a Domestic Mediumhair, I think you could definitely describe him as a Turkish Van mix to your friends. :thumbsup: